 Technic / 14516
Re: Liebherr LG 1750
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:32:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Eric Sophie wrote:
   Hey nice chasis, I like the underside shot where you can see all the steered wheels.

For a while now I’ve been wanting to build a vehicle with multiple evenly spaced steered axles. The difference this time being that instead of using gearing to generate the different steering angles required I’d like to use fixed links instead. My problem is that despite looking on the internet I can’t find the right equations to work out the lengths of the links.

I can work out how much each axle should steer to accurately track around a single point of rotation, but it’s the second part of the maths that elude me. Does any one know how to do this?

I reckon I’ll probably have to use Lego screw threads to get the precise link length I need, but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

The chassis will form the first (fixed) link. Each of the two axles I’m connecting will have it’s own steering arm at a ninety degree offset, and then the final link will connect them.

As each successive axle will turn less, the system will effectively be geared down as it goes along, requiring less additional energy each time an axle is added.

Well I didnt bother working out the exact lengths, but I found this technique works ok. I’ve since refined it to allow normal steering and crab steering, and anything in between, but have yet to actually complete a MOC using it.

ROSCO