 Technic / 14375
Re: Avoiding motor stalls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:22:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   I’m building what amounts to a pitching machine for the Great Ball Contraption. In most TECHNIC building you’re building a gear train to produce lots of power at the expense of speed. But in this case I need to build one that has lots of speed and not much power.

You might also use a fast 2838 motor http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2838c01 to direct-drive the ball throwing wheel. A friend used this setup in a GBC module http://gallery.freelug.org/SummerAFOLDays2005/PhiloReims200527 that worked several hours without motor problems.

Philo

Hmmmm. I have but one of the ungeared 9V motors, and I’m using it in a ball pump, but I will try swapping motors.

If I geared it up just a bit to handle the 90 degree angle (8-tooth gear to 24-tooth crown gear), do you think that would be dangerous?

WOAH.

I don’t think I’ll gear it up at all. This thing’s speed is now insane! The sound it makes is actually frightening.