 Technic / 14365
Re: Avoiding motor stalls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 05:23:54 GMT

Update: there are now two motors driving this thing. They each have an 8 tooth gear that turn a 40-tooth gear placed between them -- instant torque, but less output speed. I put another 40-tooth gear on the same axle as that one and connect that with a chain to the clutch gear. Now if the tire gets stuck, the clutch gear has enough input torque to keep turning, meaning my two motors aren’t stalling. The tire isn’t spinning as fast as it used to, but it’s still good enough to shoot out balls.

I also wondered if my RCX batteries’ getting weaker might have affected things, since lower voltage == lower motor speed, so I’m now powering the two motors from a train speed regulator turned on all the way. Now the input voltage is constant.

The suggestion to use a rotation sensor is good, except that I need my RCX for the mine shaft rescue competition at Brickfest. So, the ball launcher has to remain mechanical only. The flywheel idea didn’t work because I barely have to touch the tire to stop it, and a lot of spinning mass wouldn’t change this. For the same reason, a slipping system using pulleys wouldn’t work: there’s not enough torque for it to slip.

Now I get to rebuild my contraption, because its structure is too fragile -- it’s a prototype.

Oh, doesn’t the RCX have a current-limiting device in its outputs? I don’t think the train regulator does. If that is the case, I could use my other RCX, which is happily version 1.0 and has an AC adapter jack. I was going to use this for another part of my GBC contribution, but it was just as a glorified power supply.