 Technic / 13032
Re: Capacitors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:46:40 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Andrew G. Meyer wrote:

What can the 4x4 green capacitors be used for concerning mindstorms?

   They can demonstrate energy storage. Wire together a capacitor and a motor
(put a nice wheel on the motor so you have a way to turn the axle). Turn the
axle, and the motor will act as a generator, pumping energy into the capacitor
which will slowly release it back to the motor. Note that there is a polarity to
the capacitor, so if turning the wheel one way results in poor power storage,
try turning it the other way for a while. You can make a "pull back car" with a
capacitor & motor that will work very nicely (if slowly). The fully charged
capacitor will light up a little LED that is in the base when it saturates.
   Pitsco-Dacta carries a couple of sets that use them to explore energy
concepts. Ordering one of these (the "green car", I think, is the one I have)
will provide some ideas and simple diagrams, but just looking at the pictures in
the Pistco-Dacta catalog will get you started (the car is very easy to build).

I am involved with a team of elementary school kids who
have recently received nearly two-hundred of them.

   Wow!! OK, with 200 of them, you could build one heck of a battery (either to
provide a hefty voltage (in series), which I'd not recommend, or to provide some
very long-term power in parallel). These also work well with the LEGO solar
cell, acting as both a storage system and a voltage leveler.

We just can't see what they could be used for, especially
for a FLL-type robot.

   For a *robot*, possibly not a lot (although they could be used to provide a
seperate power source for a low-voltage motor, perhaps triggered by a mechanical
bumper that activates a polarity switch (if you have them). I have a couple, and
have always wanted to power the RCX with solar cells and capacitors, but the
conclusion is it would take too many (although with a lot of 200... wow, how
lucky can you get!).

--
Brian Davis