 Storage / 898
Re: Building habits (Warning: Long-Winded!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:15:33 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.storage, Jonathan Dallas writes:
<snip!>
<HUGE SNIP> (only for the cause of breviety)

I'd like to chime in here. I fully agree with Chris here, and this is the
reason why.

I've been told I'm in the top 10 of documented set accumulation, (I haven't
actually researched this, too busy sorting right now, but I'll take my
friend's word for it). When I sit down to build (which is going to be soon
as I have lot's of plans for Brickfest) I want to know exactly what I have
and where it is. Ok, I have to look in a few bins now and then to find the
one that contains what I want, but it is much quicker then tearing through a
mish-mash of random parts.

Many times, I will pre-sort what I want for what I will be building. For
instance, I got out all of my Scala columns for the temples that my
Collossus of Rhodes rests upon. I got my bin of white tiles ready beside me
too. I dug out all my printed Ninja extreem sloped wall pieces. Etc. I
didn't have to go looking for them. (The sandstone green parts came straight
out of the pre-sorted bags from the Statues of Liberties that I had, but as
I said, the bags are pre-sorted; no searching.) The collossus took me 3 days
to finish off. I can't think how long it would have taken me if I had to
hunt down every piece that I needed.

Sure, I'm still sorting, (I have 5 large Aquazone bases to finish off with
sorting, and I'll probably get a few more sets to fiddle with in the very
near future,) but for the most part, I'm just about done with the sorting
phase, and I'll be building up a storm soon. I have 8 large projects that I
want to have finished before Brickfest rolls up, and I want them to be as
fully complete as possible. The largest project is a redesign of my Mountain
Tunnel, with turns inside of it, and a larger overall 'footprint'. I'll tell
you, I wouldn't be thrilled about having to search for all my burps, grey
bricks, and grey slopes, not to menttion all the black brick inside of it as
well as the supporting arches that are needed inside of it. I'm glad I know
exaclly where I need to go to get them.

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the
views of my employer...)

BRICKFEST 2001 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****