 Storage / 877
Re: Building habits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:11:02 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, William R. Ward writes:

If you're going to sort them, DON'T do it by color.  It's the most
obvious choice, but it's a bad idea.  Sort by size and type instead.
Think of it this way: Say you want a blue 1x4 brick.  Would you rather
dig through a pile of blue bricks, or a pile of 1x4 bricks of all
colors?  With the latter, the color jumps right out at you.  With the
former, you can't tell a half-buried 1x6 or 2x4 from a 1x4 unless the
angle is just right.
Well, I have a rather substantial collection and I sort by color, with a
few exceptions (all my castle walls and doors together, all trans pieces in
one big 2 gallon bag, and various odd ball pieces/more than one color
together). This is the way I've always done it,since I decided to "organize"
my legos some 13 years ago, and I've never had a problem. I'll admit,
however, there are a few times where I think my eyes are going to bulge out
of my head looking for a certain piece (usually a black piece, my most
abundant and most used color), but I would much rather spend time BUILDING
(and looking for pieces to build) something than taking it apart. I find it
excruciatingly boring and time consuming to sort and the quickest way to do
it, I believe, is to do it by color.
For years I sorted by color.  And I finally got around to re-sorting,
using categories of size/shape instead.  And I love it!!!

Another problem with sorting by color that I had is that out of sheer
laziness I would tend to build models that were all one color.  To
find the right piece of another color I'd have to rake through or dump
out that color's bin.  Why do that when you've already got all the
blue pieces spread out in front of you on the floor?  So the result is
rather monochromatic and boring models

I don't think this is a flaw in the sorting system, but rather your own
admission of 'laziness'. The same can be said of me, I'm sure, with regards
to my sorting (it is easier, at least in the short-term, to sort by color).
I just can't fathom how sorting by one color will force you into building
monochromatic models. I generally have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna
build, or at least a general idea of what it should look like before I ever
start, and pull out the appropriate colors' lots right from the start.

Oh well, that's my 2 cents.

Fritz
A castle head who just realized how much Star Wars he's bought in the last 6
months.

FUT: lugnet.storage