 Star Wars / 11208
Re: Building habits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 00:24:48 GMT

"Anthony Babington" <hottsnoz@swbell.net> writes:
...I've been giving serious thought to sorting my collection, even if only
by color. lazy though I am, i know that all my really cool pieces are
cowering in fear at the bottom of the huge (60 gallons) tub which houses the
bulk of my collection. Perhaps I have just found a project to occupy my
summer? truly, an automatic sorter would make everybody happy... ::ponders a
moment:: hmmm, can light sensors differentiate between colors?

If you're going to sort them, DON'T do it by color.  It's the most
obvious choice, but it's a bad idea.  Sort by size and type instead.
Think of it this way: Say you want a blue 1x4 brick.  Would you rather
dig through a pile of blue bricks, or a pile of 1x4 bricks of all
colors?  With the latter, the color jumps right out at you.  With the
former, you can't tell a half-buried 1x6 or 2x4 from a 1x4 unless the
angle is just right.

For years I sorted by color.  And I finally got around to re-sorting,
using categories of size/shape instead.  And I love it!!!

Another problem with sorting by color that I had is that out of sheer
laziness I would tend to build models that were all one color.  To
find the right piece of another color I'd have to rake through or dump
out that color's bin.  Why do that when you've already got all the
blue pieces spread out in front of you on the floor?  So the result is
rather monochromatic and boring models.  Sorting by size/shape makes
it a lot easier to put interesting color accents into models, since
it's no harder to find a dark grey whatsit than it is to find a blue
one.

--Bill.

FUT: lugnet.storage

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx