 Star Wars / 17778
Re: Millenium Falcon 10179 Raffle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:16:00 GMT

OK, here's my longer response...

[quoting things all out of order]
In lugnet.announce, Todd Thuma wrote:
Hey, I just saw a great idea on Eurobricks
http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/euroforum/index.php?act=home. They are
holding a raffle for the $500.00 Millenium Falcon 10179 set.

So I am interested whether or not the community on LUGNET might be willing
to do this. Here's my thinking: There are few people out there that can
afford the $500.00 set and there are many people out there that cannot. So,
there might be some that would be willing to buy a raffle and have a chance
at winning one.

What do you think? Would you be interested in this?

Oh, yeah.  I would definitely be up for this.  Committing a few dollars to
possibly win a Falcon would be awesome.  Heck, even spending a few bucks to help
another AFOL in a similar position would be fun. :)

I'm definitely one of those people going, "Wow! That MF looks fantastic!  But no
way am I spending that dropping that much coin on my hobby at one time!"

The question becomes how much you would be willing to spend for a single
ticket?  Would you pay $10 for a chance? How about $5 or $1?

The actual ticket price wouldnt' matter to me -- whatever the price is, it's
really a chance of winning.  A $5 ticket would be 1% chance of winning, a $10
ticket would be 2%.  You could set ticket prices to $1, and let people choose
their own fine-grained level of participation.

All that said, I'm fine with $5 or $10.  I'd probably spend $10, maybe $20,
total on ticket(s).

I am willing to take no money for the exercise.

That is mighty nice of you, BTW.

I would purchase the set now and take delivery to me. Once the set has been
received the raffle will be closed and a winner will be randomly selected from
those having purchased tickets.

Considering that this is a 'friendly' operation, I'd say sell the tickets now,
determine the winner, and order the set for direct shipment to them.  Especially
since it would allow you to do everything right now, finalizing it all right
away.  If you wait until you physically get the set, you can't wrap things up
until October.

A web site would be used to organize the participant list and for purchasing
the tickets. There would be total disclosure.

I'm not sure that's necessary.  Email communication would suffice, and would be
more private.  But if setting up a web page makes it easier for you, I'm OK with
that.

My only trepidation comes from not being able to cover the cost of the set
and shipping. I really do not want to be out of pocket for $500 if no one is
interested in this.

There's no reason you should be expected to take any risk.  Definitely sell the
tickets and collect the money first, then buy the set.

Considering that the sets won't be available until October, I think there's time
to collect all the money before the actual purchase is made.

Also, we could run the raffle through PayPal or some online purchase cart
system where people could be assured that their money was going to the raffle.

If you use PayPal (or something), be sure to factor in the (probable) cost of
their fees.

There would only be a set number of tickets sold based upon a calculation of
the cost of the set puls shipping divided by the cost of each ticket. In
other words, if the set costs $500.00 and shipping is $50.00 then the total
is $550.00. If tickets are $10.00 then only 55 tickets would be sold.

And any leftover money (beyond buying the set, fees, shipping, and your costs)
goes to the winner as well?

Here's a random thought:  sell tickets over the next 2 weeks, pick a winner
before the end of the month, order the set before March 31, and avoid shipping.

I'm somewhat slightly concerned about the legality of this idea; games and
raffles are generally pretty tightly regulated.  I'm sure this would be a small
enough deal to be under any radar.  But still.  Or maybe I'm overly paranoid.

Another concern is that too many people will be interested -- you might have
enough interest to do this multiple times.  Many multiple. :)

What process would you use to select the winner?  Pull a name out of a hat?
Ping Pong balls in a spinner?  Random number generator?  I'd prefer a physical
system rather than an electronic solution (ie, computer program).

Steve