 Sports / * (-5)
Subject:
Player names in set 3416
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:13:39 GMT

Has anyone ever seen names for the female players in 3416 ?

thx, Ray

World Cup: England vs. U.S. re-enacted in LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.animation, lugnet.sports
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:55:21 GMT

From June 14, 2010 CNET.com
By Chris Matyszczyk.

World Cup: England vs. U.S. re-enacted in LEGO

Many around the world were deeply moved by Saturday’s World Cup encounter between England and the United States. While many Americans feared their team might be outclassed, perhaps they weren’t fully aware that the England team flatters to deceive more often than a telemarketer.

The game, which finished 1-1, was highlighted by one of the most glorious English goalkeeping errors (enacted by the latest English net custodian, Robert Green), in a veritable pantheon of glorious English goalkeeping errors.

Should you have missed the game, or merely found the experience unbearable, some very enterprising LEGOists would like you to enjoy a more, well, playful version.

I thank the Guardian for bringing us all closer to these highlights (there were really only a couple), performed by little Fussball men in LEGO World.

The movement of England captain Steven Gerrard is beautifully realized. The joy of his teammates is captured in a manner entirely appropriate to stiff upper lips.

And when America’s Clint Dempsey wanders forward and shoots with all the strength of ginger ale and Green allows the ball to bounce off his hands and into the goal, it is an exhibition of vast poignancy.

Indeed, when the LEGO Green makes the mistake for which he will always be known--my hope for the English tabloids’ favorite headline was “Glove Muppet,” but they went for “Hand of Clod”-- his LEGO stand-in not only offers a little face-down despair, but then gets up only to fall backward in a gesture of utterly human horror.

It is a pity that both goalkeepers’ LEGO iterations wear caps. It prevents us from fully enjoying their expressions.

However, one’s heart can only look forward to the LEGO version of USA/Slovenia, which takes place Friday. Might I suggest that you will be able to enjoy it better by securing your own sound effects. Yes, those sweetly humming trumpets you can hear during every game have now been immortalized in the Vuvuzela iPhone app.

YouTube Video

Cnet.com

LEGOFussball.eu (This website is not sponsored, authorized or endorsed and not created by the LEGO Group.)

-end of report-

Subject:
Selling New In Box LEGO Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.western, lugnet.sports, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:12:22 GMT

Due to a family emergency I need to sell my NEW IN BOX LEGO Collection. The list is very long to list here so I’m only going to list the themes that are available and give you a link to where you can see full details, images and more.

Adventure Sets

Belville Sets

Bionicle Sets

Castle Sets

Misc Sets

Sports Sets

Sculpture Sets

Star Wars Sets

Studio Sets

Town Sets

Train Sets (9v ONLY)

Wild West Sets

Promotional Sets

See the full details here: http://vault.theartofwarfare.net/AMP/LEGO/forsale.htm

-AHui

Subject:
WWE Superstars in LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.sports, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:49:06 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I’m not too proud to admit that over the course of the past year my girlfriend and I have gotten pretty into watching WWE wrestling. Last weekend we spent a day creating minifig versions of a bunch of our favorite WWE superstars and other wrestling personalities. I’m not sure how much of a cross-over there is between AFOLS and WWE fans, but for anyone interested, here’s a page showing off our creations:

We’ve left the wrestler’s names off the index page so that you can try to guess who is who before clicking the thumbnails for a larger view, the wrestler’s name, and a reference photo.

OK, now back to the Bible... :)

-Brendan Powell Smith

Re: NBA at Toys R Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.sports
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:00:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Silva wrote:
Ironically though, they attempted to penetrate this market by adding limited
chase "autographed cards" to the product.  Something that you will find just
about every sports card manufacturer does at some time or another to help
boost the sales of their baseball, football, basketball and/or hockey cards.

Has anyone ever seen one these trading cards that was autographed ? Just
wondering how common/rare these might be.

Ray

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact