 Space / 898
Re: No new space sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:54:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.space, Patrick Leahy writes:
In lugnet.space, Jonathan Wilson writes:
What? No new non-Star Wars Space set for 2000?  This would be 2 years
running that there hasn't been (non-Star Wars) Space sets.  Granted, the

There is something in the starwars licence that forbids TLG from making
other space sets while they are making starwars sets.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com

So THAT'S why those demented crooks removed Space!  Once, they cared about
selling good models.  Now, TLG's only concern is money and exploiting trends!
Will they ever again be how they were during the Classic Space line?!

Wow.  You sure have a big Unhappy about LEGO...Don't you think you might be
over-reacting a bit?

This gives me some amusement because you could see the
introduction of the minifigure and the first line of "classic
space" as just being "concerned with making money and
exploiting trends" as well.

Star Wars was the rage by the mid-late-seventies, and
it was clear at the time that LEGO was going away from
their old ways and bricks towards an explosion of
minifigured sets, expert builder sets, etc.  And this
all hinged upon the creation of the minifigure, and
the introduction of themes (castle and space), all of
which happened at about the same time.  You can just
bet that the worldwide popularity of Star Wars and
space toys was on LEGO's mind as they introduced the
space sets.  (In other words ... they were concerned
with making money and exploiting trends.)

And the funny thing is - I think it worked.  I don't
have sales figures to prove it, but from what I understand,
the late 70s were a breakthru period in getting LEGO
mass-acceptance in the market, particularly the American
market.

I personally don't mind them making money (which lets them
continue doing business) and exploiting trends, as long
as the trends don't conflict directly with the manufacturer
of good toys that I like.  And, golly, I think the Star Wars
lego sets are darned good toys that I really like.  The
best Space Lego since I don't know when.

Better than classic space, in many ways.  More variety of
minifigs.  Really cool elements (but not too overly specialized).
I tried SO MANY TIMES as a kid to make an X-Wing from my LL298,
Expert Builder and Basic LEGO sets, and just didn't have the tools
in hand to be happy with what I could build.  I can build much
cooler stuff nowadays than I could then.

--

jthompson@esker.com  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"