 Space / 40819
Subject:
Galaxy Explorer the Way it Should Have Been ;o)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:56:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ever since I got my first Mobile Lab (6901) and Galaxy Explorer (497/928) as a child, I always wanted to build the Explorer in the Lab’s colors. Finally, after--what?--more than a quarter-century, I’ve achieved that long-held dream. :o)

This Galaxy Explorer often supports both the Mobile Lab and the Alien Moon Stalker (6940), and is also teamed up with the Lunar Scout (1580), the unmentionable (er, unnamed 1968), and the Gamma-V Laser Craft (6891).

Since trans-green 4 x 10 plates haven’t ever been made, AFAIK, I had to get a little innovative to meet this one key Galaxy Explorer element. I used a bunch of trans-green 1 x 2 plates and stuck them together via some gray-plate “welds”. This lowered the ships’ ceiling, but I left a space so that the pilot still had room to stretch (seen in the photo below). Also, because of the general 2/3 thickness of the canopy, I had to redo the hinge mechanism. I opted for some technic 1 x 2 bricks and friction pins. This method works rather well, though there’s a little less space in the cab, and in the rear storage area.

-best,

Wolf

PS. Yes, indeed, the colors of Ley’s suxxorg inspired me to post this recent creation here.

Re: Galaxy Explorer the Way it Should Have Been ;o)