 Space / 40275
Re: Stereograms of my Space and Vignette MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.vignette
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 05:00:11 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeffery MacEachern wrote:
   I haven’t had any problems, although no one else I’ve showed them to has been able to do them. Maybe my eyes are reversed left for right :) - although that’s how LDView created them. Does anyone else with LDView 3.0 want to check that out?

LDView gives you the option of “Cross-eyed” viewing or “Parallel” viewing. The former (which is default) appears to be what you used, and is somewhat self-explanatory: to view the images in 3D, cross your eyes so that your right eye is focused on the left image and your left eye is focused on the right image.

The other option (Parallel) generally can only be viewed at a size such that the separation between the centers of each image is no more than the distance between your eyes. For somewhat obvious reasons, humans aren’t really adept at having their eyes diverge. To view a parallel stereo pair, you tend to look through the screen. This is actually the same technique used to view SIRDS (single image random dot stereograms: those images made up of the seemingly random patterns). Stereograms that are designed to be viewed with a viewer (with lenses) will be parallel, but the lenses allow for a more pleasant viewing experience.

Some people find the cross-eyed images easier to view; others find the parallel images easier to view. I personally like the cross-eyed ones, because they allow for larger images, and that’s why this is the default in LDView.

--Travis