 Space / 39364
Re: Space Tanker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 04:19:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim wrote:
   Greetings! Here’s a new Space Tanker I made:

P.S. Props to Wayne Hussey for the idea of using 1 x 2 axle bricks and Technic axle rods to connect the modular sections.

I was gonna ask about that actually - was there a reason you chose axles instead of pins? Maybe because you found pins werent strong enough to hold the complete ship together? It’s just that I seem to have accumulated an over-supply of NxN bricks with pin, and would probably have tried them first, just to use some of them up!

ROSCO

First I want to jump in line about how awesome this ship is! WOW! Great job Dan. Glad to *help*.

In answer to the pin vs axle question - With lots of models, the pin connection is just fine. Better with NxN bricks with pins than Technic bricks with pins. With Technic bricks, the pins are loose and not necessarily aligned for best connection. With both NxN bricks with pins and Technic bricks with pins, there is a definite force to be applied to the pins in order to get them to begin to engage. This causes jarring and sometimes the need to twist the parts a bit to get them to start. And when you try to take the joint apart, there is a *snap* at the end of disengagement that again jars the model.

If you jar a delicate (or even not so delicate) model enough times, the model comes apart in unpredictable (can you say *catastrophic*) ways. Also, if you have ever tried to push together (or pull apart) a model that needs more than 4 joiners, the force becomes extreme.

I have built models using my *patented* joint mechanism with as many as a dozen co-planar joints. The model *slides* together. And it slides apart. The friction will usually provide enough resistance to hold your models together.

You can test this yourself. Try to align 8 pins (separated on the plane by a few bricks or studs) at the same time, push the assemblies together and pull them apart. Then use the axle method with the joints in the same locations and see if the forces aren’t easier to work with. The major difference will, I hope, show the benefits.

There is a cost. With NxN bricks with pins (or Technic brick with pin), a joint can be as small as a 1x1 or 1x2 (on each half). With the captured axle joint, the size is 2x2 (on each half).

I have posted an image of the parts I use to make a *captured axle joint* here (post moderation). The green and yellow half of the joint holds the axle from moving. The grey and blue are the capture part. You can put the grey brick with the green/yellow to make the joint *softer*.

Again, Dan - great job! I wish I could borrow style as easily as we can all borrow technique!

Wayne