 Space / 32749
Re: Small Mini's contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:39:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Didier Deses wrote:
   I see what you mean, the space is limited, luckily the rules and pieces are not. I solved some of the problems by

There’s absolutely no reason why you couldn’t make the base deeper if you want, but like I said, I wanted to see what I could produce going strictly within the confines that you defined. If it weren’t for that, I probably would have come up with a completely different ship instead of the light cruiser, which is basically just a shorter version of the heavy cruiser.

   putting many ships in 1 canopy

I did think of that while I was posting the module. The limo might fit two per canopy, the smaller version in the same style should fit three forward facing (put the middle one on a pair of single-stud 1x2 plates), the tail-fin version could fit as many as eight, and the tiny one might be able to fit 10 (again, mount the middle row on single-stud 1x2 plates, and mount the last two sideways).

   using folding wings

Now that’s something that I never even considered. There’s so little room to work with that I was trying to keep everything as compact as possible.

   building the ships, with the right pieces :-)

That’s a given. My two cruisers are pretty fragile because there wasn’t enough room to put a 2x4 or 2x3 plate underneath to tie everything together, and the only pieces attaching them together are 1x2’s. The shuttle, on the other hand, is quite sturdy.

   here are some pics ... sorry about the bad quality

I think my favorite would be the one opposite the swing-wing plane. Are the long skinny ships designed to carry the little tiny one, or is that just a coincidence of shape?

The capital ship itself is quite interesting as well, but I do have two complaints. One is that part of the ship extends directly behind the engines, and the other is that the triple cluster of landing bays is all set up to launch directly at each other. My thought would be that they’d all be set up in a row to launch in the same direction.