 Space / 32463
Re: ContainerHabs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:35:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
In lugnet.space, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
I'm wondering if no one saw my last post under the old thread
http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=32271
but I've done exactly this and it works great.

Neat ideas!  A stack of ContainerHab floors lends itself nicely to several
high-density temporary housing uses:

     * Low income single person housing
     * Construction worker/military barracks
     * cargo runner motel (think truck stop)
     * prison cell block
     * university dorm
     * disaster relief shelter

Here's something I built along those veins back when we started the MB project:
Bed, TV, table, chair, light, door...what more do you need?
--Bram

Nicely done!  And very forward-looking, to have been done back at the beginning!

It took me a minute to figure out how your door slid so nicely; elegant
solution, and very spacey-looking!

Looks like just enough room for one person to live with some modicum of comfort.
A bunch of these hooked up to a main corridor skeleton, with common bathroom and
kitchen facilities, would make a really cool MoonBase Mod

It would be interesting to see everyone's interpretation of this idea; the real
challenge would be in making a comfortable little home in such a tight space.  A
book I read by Sarah Susanka called 'The Not So Big House' has as a theme that
we don't really need as much space to live in as houses are now being built for;
what we need is well-designed space that allows for multiple activities,
privacy, and basic needs, built to a higher standard of quality.  She mentions
boat & ship design as something to study for this, since the space is really
limited, but comforts are integral to what's most often a luxury item.  Your
design fits this bill.

I'm not sure who mentioned it earlier (and I don't have the chance to look just
now), but the single ContainerHab unit would be a cool exchange item at shows.

Thanks very much for sharing and inspiring!

Peace and Long Life,
Tw0nst3r

tw0nst3r@earthlink.net