 Space / 32316
Re: Space Cargo Container Standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:02:31 GMT

I'm wondering if no one saw my last post under the old thread
http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=32271
but I've done exactly this and it works great.
I'll post some LDRAW files when I get home tonight : )

Jeff Findley wrote:
Even though I rarely start threads on Lugnet, I thought this topic is ripe for
discussion.

We've seen from the recent thread, http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=32226
Trainhead gives space a whirl, that there seems to be some interest in a Space
Cargo Container Standard.

Drawing on the above thread, I'd guess that you'd want both ends of the cargo
container to conform to the existing standard for a Moonbase Corridor connection
(i.e. 8 studs wide with the 2 1x2 bricks with hole in the proper place).
Furthermore, it seems that 8 studs wide works for trains.

I'm not sure about the height.  The ends of the Moonbase Corridor are 7 bricks
and two plates high.  It might be nice to extend this a bit both up and down so
that a standard can be made for the top and bottom that will allow stacking of
containers.  Perhaps there is a technique to be borrowed from Trains?

As for the length, Moonbase Modules are 48x48 studs.  If you choose to make them
16 studs long, three containers in length is exactly the length of a Moonbase
Module.  This allows containers to be used as expansion modules on a moonbase.
It's also exactly twice the standard width of the Moonbase Corridor, which will
make the containers the same width vs. length ratio as the classic 2x4 brick.
What do others think about a standard length?

Comments, suggestions, flames?

Jeff