 Space / 19023
Re: Not entirely clear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:02:09 GMT

In lugnet.space, Stephen Juby writes:
Hi, er, I'm new to this whole thing, and I need some information on Space
Lego
snip, snip

Anyway, I've been buying up Blacktron I sets and there are a couple of
pieces that either differed from the instructions and box art, or that I've
been supplied with erroneously. I'm after people who bought these models new
or MISB and know the parts ACTUALLY SUPPLIED (I'm a wee bit of a purist!)
Oh, I do know about Peeron, but they're not infallible either. The
sets/pieces in question are:
6894 "Invader" - came with solid yellow plastic 1x2x1 panels. The box art
shows trans yellow ones, and I think the instructions do too (it's hard to
make out on them)
6941 "Battrax" - came with trans yellow flexible hoses. The box art and
instructions show solid yellow
6954 "Renegade" - as with Battrax, I was given trans yellow flexible hoses
and it seems to suggest it should come with solid ones

My theory is that perhaps Lego switched the hoses at least, since both those
models came with trans yellow ones... although the 6987 "Message Intercept
Base" I got came with solid ones... Now, as I mentioned 6851 "Blacktron II
Crusher" was significantly changed at some point during production, and the
number wasn't altered or anything, so I'm wondering did this happen to the
clear/solid parts in Blacktron I, or have I just been conned?

Hi Stephen,

I'm afraid you háve been conned...
As for the 6894 Blacktron I Invader; the 2x1x1 panels should be clear trans
yellow and not solid yellow (and they are quite hard to find in sets I believe)
The 6941 Battrax and 6954 Renegade should -like every other Blacktron I set
which include hoses- have solid yellow hoses with black tabs.

But maybe it is a bit comforting when I tell you the 4x4x2 yellow exhaust
cones at the back of the Renegade are (at this moment) very Hard To Find!
(that is ofcourse when you díd get these included with your 6954 Renegade set...
...As far as I know these yellow cones can only be found in one other set,
which is a trainset -nr. 7730- from 1980...!)

It may be obvious now that I am a LEGO® Space purist too!
Missed some sets too in my childhood and went searching for them on the
internet and in smaller LEGO® outlets.
When I thought I finally would have my Space collection complete, I kind of
'discovered' all the sets which have never been available in Holland!

Now, a year and a half later (having spent a lot'o'money...) I am very
pleased to have all these sets in my collection...
..and the 6954 Blacktron I Renegade was one of the sets that weren't for
sale in Holland. So, apart from the wrong yellow hoses you do now have a
pretty unique set in your collection!

And for collecting; every collector puts his own values and/or definitions
to his/her collection, meaning that what one person might consider a
valuable collection, can mean 'not a worthy collection' to another collector.
This can depent -amongst other criteria- on availability of original
instructions of the sets in a collection and/or original boxes etc, etc.

I think this is something of which a lot of discussion can come forward -and
probably already has come- but I go for the idea that it is a personal
matter to every collector to decide what it is that makes a collection
valuable to him/her.

So it doesn't matter that you may not have the money to buy every Space set
you wish for, as long as you appreciate the sets you own you will probably
feel like having a very nice collection! ;-)

Have a great weekend
and happy collecting!

Erik B aka Bengh Zeran