 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 4031
Re: Development status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:31:31 GMT

Hi all,

This is great to see there's still some interest.  I may not have
opportunity to post over the next couple days, but I have created some
patches against the latest Sourceforge CVS (as I believe there are a few
differences between the CVS and the last release).  I have an Open Document
Spreadsheet detailing the patch changes (source, reason, etc.).  When I get
back, I'll try to upload the files somewhere.

I had also been in the process of gathering and/or creating some patches
against other BrickOS versions--there was an lnp_printf, lnp_reliable, some
task-related (priority inheritance, scheduling, resources), realloc....
After Bibo was released, I didn't pursue these as aggressively.

I've been working with binutils 2.16.1 and gcc 3.4.6--I noticed the same
disappearance in 2.17.

I think we need to stick with 2.16.1, I don't know whether porting brickos to
elf is really worth the trouble.

Newer gcc versions would be nice, indeed, and brickos also builds fine with
(some of?) these, but I never actually got it to run on the bricks when building
with anything newer than what we currently ship in Debian. If you gather some
patches and Stephen could try them out and gets it to work, I'd happily package
newer gcc versions. I think the problem always was some issue about BSS size - I
had fixed the ld script, but it didn't work anyway. Still, I might just have
been missing the proper patches.

Best,
Michael