 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2935
Re: Release candidate brickos-0.2.6.08 avail for testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:53:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Stephen M. Moraco writes:
As this is a new mechanism, we are looking for feedback regarding your
successes and your failures in using this new configure tool.  You can
post this feedback as a reply to this message.  We will respond to
any difficulties you may have as quickly as we can.

I had essentially no problems with brickos-2.6.08 - aside from noticing at
least a couple new headers I have to port to Pascal.  configure worked like
a charm.

The only issue I encountered was regarding TOOLPREFIX.  The way that I have
my cygwin system configured, I have the pre-built Hitachi H8 tools installed
in one directory tree (with the bin directory on the path) and the GPC
Hitachi H8 cross-compiler installed in another directory tree (with the bin
directory on the path).  The way configure works now it assumes all the
compilers are in the same directory.  Unfortunately, with GPC that may not
always be the case.

I added the following lines to configure (after the cygwin/linux check):

#  look for gpc
#   search filesystem for full name of hitachi gpc compiler and path
#
HMSFULL=""
if test -z "$HMSFULL"
then
  HMSFULL=`find / \( -name 'h8*gpc' -o -name 'h8*gpc.exe' \) -print`
fi

#
# PToolprefix is full path and compiler name without 'gpc'
#
PTOOLPREFIX=$(echo $HMSFULL | sed "s/gpc.*//")

echo " - PToolprefix = "$PTOOLPREFIX

And changed this slightly:

cat $CURR_MAKEFILE | awk -v sedFlag=$SED_FLAG \
                          -v ext=$EXT \
  -v cc=$CC \
  -v cflags="$CFLAGS" \
  -v toolPrefix="$TOOLPREFIX" \
  -v ptoolPrefix="$PTOOLPREFIX" \
  -v mkdep="$MAKEDEPEND" \
  -v brickosRoot=$BRICKOS_ROOT \
  -v cflgPleq=$CFLG_PE \
  '
  BEGIN {
    inInsert=0
sep="# -------------------------------------------------------"
  }
  ($2 == "END-configuration") {
    inInsert=0
print sep
print "TOOLPREFIX=" toolPrefix
print "PTOOLPREFIX=" ptoolPrefix
print "SED_SFLAG=" sedFlag
print "EXT=" ext
print "CC=" cc
print "CFLAGS" cflgPleq "=" cflags
print "MAKEDEPEND=" mkdep
print "BRICKOS_ROOT=" brickosRoot
print sep
  }
  (inInsert) {
  next
  }
  ($2 == "BEGIN-configuration") {
    inInsert=1
  }
  {
  print $0
  }
  END {
  }' >$NEW_MAKEFILE

Then the original Makefile.common has these lines

GPC=$(PTOOLPREFIX)gpc
PFLAGS=--extended-syntax --unit-path=$(BRICKOS_ROOT)/lib/p

# how to compile pas source
%.o: %.pas
$(GPC) $(CFLAGS) $(PFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

# how to generate an assembly listing of pascal source
%.s: %.pas
$(GPC) $(CFLAGS) $(PFLAGS) -c $< -S

NOTE: The rules for .pas files appear to need to come before the rules for
.c files (although I am not entirely sure why).

And Makefile.user has these lines near the top:

#LIBS=-lc -lmint -lfloat -lc++
CLIBS=-lc -lmint -lfloat -lc++
PLIBS=-loogpc -lgpc
LIBS=$(PLIBS) $(CLIBS)