 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1202
Re: LegOS on LinuxPPC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 05:44:02 GMT

In article
<Pine.OSF.3.96.1000710123038.19483A-100000@alpha3.csd.uwm.edu>, Michael
J Ash <mikeash@csd.uwm.edu> wrote:

I recall somebody writing to this list about a problem with LegOS under
LinuxPPC, and the message seemed to imply that things were mostly happy. I
can't make the compiler compile. I'm using gcc 2.95.2. The make proceeds
for a good while, then I get many, many errors, something about something
being too long and being truncated, then it dies. (I can post the exact
errors later; I just don't have them with me at the moment.)

If indeed somebody has made it work, could you tell me how? I'd really
like to make this happen. Running compilers under VirtualPC is a pain in
the arse.

I have had better luck with egcs-1.1.2 rather than gcc 2.95.2.  I've
heard that there's a problem with the way gcc 2.95.2 generates code for
memcpy.  I've also heard that the fix is to use an assembly version of
memcpy instead of letting the compiler generate it.  I just stuck with
egcs myself and avoided the entire issue.

Both compilers will fail while trying to build the libraries.  The
problem stems from the H8 target support assuming signed chars, and gcc
hosted on ppc defaulting to unsigned chars.  My fix was to add
-fsigned-char to CFLAGS in the Makefiles for binutils and gcc.  Here's
my previous post in the matter:

http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/?n=1111

Dave Baum

--