 Robotics / NXT / 140
Re: Flash Write Cycles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:43:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, David Wallace wrote:
According to what I have read, putting the AT91SAM7S processor in system
recovery mode (i.e., by resetting it via the hardware reset button or by
programmatically putting it into firmware boot mode) loads SAM-BA into
flash

Are you sure of this John? It seems like the reset button would be for dire
circumstances and would do something different than the firmware boot mode.

I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure based on a number of discussions that I
have been involved with during the MUP2/MDP.  To the best of my knowledge a
clicking brick (however it got into that state) is a brick running SAM-BA in
flash with the first two pages locked.

But I have heard from a very reliable source that ATMEL has measured lock bit
read/write cycles at up to 7500 under normal temperature conditions

If this is true, I vote we all shut up - or maybe I should just shut up :-)

Last night I used a new version of NeXTTool (with an undocumented command-line
switch) to cycle the firmware 110 times on my oldest brick which has already
been cycled a bunch of times.  It still works. I don't recommend you try it
yourself.  It takes about 30 seconds per cycle so running it through 7500 cycles
will take a while.

John Hansen