 Robotics / NXT / 112
111  |  113
Subject:
Flash Write Cycles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 18:40:39 GMT

Does anyone know how the NXT firmware handles writing program files into flash?
If you re-flash a program with the same name, does it first erase the sectors
that the old program was located in and then re-flash these sectors with the new
program? Or, does it write the new program (with the same name), to a different
set of sectors and then erase the old program?

The flash used in the NXT which is internal to the AT91SAM7256 microcontroller
can be re-programmed 10,000 times according to the spec.

Let's say that a heavy user flashes the part 200 times per week.  I know that
some people will exceed this while others will be lower. If the NXT firmware
erases and re-writes the same area, this user would exceed the number of cycles
in 1 year. Probably, most people will be OK, but the heavy users who may even
exceed 200/week will be very disappointed.

I'm hoping that Atmel's 10,000 number is conservative. I also hope that the NXT
firmware doesn't reprogram the same location. If I'm working on a program and
reflashing it many times, I think I'm going to keep changing the name so it gets
stored at a different location until the flash is full, and then erase and start
over.

Any knowledgeable people out there in this area?

David Wallace