 Robotics / NXT / 111
Re: Light sensor sampling freq?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 10:08:07 GMT

Dick Swan wrote:
Standard Lego firmware samples every 3 msec. BricOS is much faster. I
believe it is faster than once per second. RobotC on NXT is programmable
to be 0.5 msec scan, 1 msec, 2 msec, ... up to 255 msec.

But remember the readings are not persistent. If your program doesn't
check while the sensor is illuminated (e.g. support it only polls the
light sensor every 10 msec), so you have to worry about how fast your
program is executing. Remember, standard LEGO firmware only does one
opcode every 2 or 3 msec.
Hmm, so speed isn't the issue, the issue is that the 'laser' must hit the
detector head on.
But luckily that was solved by inserting a thin slice of paper inside
the 2x1 red transpararent brick and moving it tone stud in front of the
sensor.
With the 'hit' area now increased and ambient light reduced the sensor
gives more stable readings.

Thanks for the input, I'll continue to hack. I want my bot to come home :)

// anders