 Robotics / NXT / 112
    Flash Write Cycles —David Wallace
   Does anyone know how the NXT firmware handles writing program files into flash? If you re-flash a program with the same name, does it first erase the sectors that the old program was located in and then re-flash these sectors with the new program? (...) (18 years ago, 9-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —Brian Davis
     (...) I don't; John Hansen might. While Flash memory does have a limited number of read/write cycles, it appears that the stated limit is conservative, by a large margin... although some of us have thought about a "test to failure" trial, I've not (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —John Hansen
     (...) When downloading a program to the NXT using NBC if there is a file with the same name on the NXT already it is first deleted. Then a new file is created and written using the same filename. I don't know whether that means the firmware will (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         RE: Flash Write Cycles
      (...) I researched this topic about eight months ago. I no longer worry about it. I must admit I didn't know about the "lock-bits" specification and was concerned only with the "flash rewrite specification". I have also had other conversations on (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —Tony Naggs
     In article <J5C97r.BBF@lugnet.com>, David <dww.robotics@gmail.com> writes (...) This is the guaranteed minimum number, with higher voltages and at higher temperatures than you are likely to use the NXT at. FLASH memory is a pretty mature technology (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         RE: Flash Write Cycles
      (...) Don't forget that the education market is also a large portion of the Mindstorms market. Lifetime for education is more line ten years?? And depending on environment, these could be heavy use applications. LEGO has also been very generous in (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —Sivan Toledo
   (...) One probable reason that the NXT does not do any wear leveling is that it executes instructions directly from flash (the instructions in the firmware itself), which is memory mapped. This requires that these instructions are contiguous, which (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —David Wallace
    "Sivan Toledo" <stoledo@tau.ac.il> wrote in message news:J5DMMp.Bs5@lugnet.com... (...) firmware (...) called (...) True, you can't level the firmware - only file systems can be wear leveled. I understand that there has been discussion concerning (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —Ralph Hempel
   (...) As I understand it, the lock bits are only touched if SAMBA mode is entered, which is done when the reset button is pressed for more than about three seconds. At that point, the ARM erases the bottom two sectors and installs the SAMBA firmware (...) (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —John Hansen
   (...) Whether you reset the brick or just run the download firmware routine in the LEGO Mindstorms NXT software or in RobotC or in NBC/BricxCC you've put the brick in SAMBA mode (clicking brick mode) and the lock bits have been cycled. But I have (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        RE: Flash Write Cycles
    (...) I guess it depends on which way they fail? Do they fail in locked mode or in unlocked mode? If, as would be good design, they fail to permanently locked, I'd guess nobody is interested in trying. What nobody has mentioned yet is the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —John Hansen
   (...) [...] (...) According to what I have read, putting the AT91SAM7S processor in system recovery mode (i.e., by resetting it via the hardware reset button or by programmatically putting it into firmware boot mode) loads SAM-BA into flash and when (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —David Wallace
   (...) flash Are you sure of this John? It seems like the reset button would be for dire circumstances and would do something different than the firmware boot mode. The spec says this about SAMBA loading: "To enter SAM-BA Boot Recovery, the TST pin (...) (18 years ago, 13-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Flash Write Cycles —John Hansen
   (...) I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure based on a number of discussions that I have been involved with during the MUP2/MDP. To the best of my knowledge a clicking brick (however it got into that state) is a brick running SAM-BA in flash with (...) (18 years ago, 13-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)