 Robotics / NXT / 116
Re: Flash Write Cycles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:15:39 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, David Wallace wrote:
I'm hoping that Atmel's 10,000 number is conservative. I also hope that the NXT
firmware doesn't reprogram the same location. If I'm working on a program and
reflashing it many times, I think I'm going to keep changing the name so it gets
stored at a different location until the flash is full, and then erase and start
over.

When downloading a program to the NXT using NBC if there is a file with the same
name on the NXT already it is first deleted.  Then a new file is created and
written using the same filename.  I don't know whether that means the firmware
will write the file to a different location or not.

Executables and icon files have to be created using OpenWriteLinear which means
they have to be contiguous.  The VM actually reads the byte codes directly from
flash as the program executes.

There was a discussion some time back in which, if I recall correctly, it was
said that the NXT firmware doesn't do anything fancy, like wear leveling, for
the flash memory.

Any knowledgeable people out there in this area?

Dick Swan comes to mind, but it may fall under the category of protected
intellectual property.

John Hansen