 Robotics / 25339
Re: NXT and bluetooth enabled phones
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:13:06 GMT

We have yet more video of Mindstorms NXT:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ces-2006-video.htm

This video has Alpha Rex dancing and dancing faster as the decibels go up. You
will also see the Lego presentation playing in the background, especially when
the camera points up at the robot for better light. But the resolution is small
and it is dark when focused on the people.

Further down on the linked page is Vex Robotics presentation. Unfortunately,
this robot will capture the Robot Wars crowd more easily with metal parts and a
remote control with standard R/C crystals. Remote Control also means
"Build-and-Use", no programming and PC required.

Thinking about Studless beams, NXT now looks a lot like Vex. NXT has THE
versatile parts set. Vex blows away NXT with 6 Interrupt inputs, 16
Analog/Digital inputs, and 8 motor outputs (who needs multiplexing?). Vex's
effectively 4 touch sensors pale next to NXT's 4 sensors. The only Vex Accessory
that LEGO does not have a counterpart is the Omnidirectional Wheel.

Can someone tell me if Vex's 1 servo and 3 motors give feedback to the brick?

I really believe that a standard BlueTooth R/C control program for celphones is
needed. As a standard NXT program, you would get instant "Build-and-Use". It
won't be "Just as Good" as Vex, but would be a great selling point.

Andy Cross