 Robotics / 25136
Re: NXT and bluetooth enabled phones
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:04:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kyle McDonald wrote:
Matthew Ruschmann wrote:
"Lund demonstrated, for example, how with his Bluetooth phone, he could direct
the movement of one of the robots. Then he showed how the robot was programmed
so that when it moved and bumped into something, it would send a signal to his
phone directing it to snap a digital photograph."

Ugh.. she mentions communicating to the NXT with J2ME on your phone.
Seriously depressing that I might have to learn Java.  That is one
bandwagon that I have long avoided.
I'm curious... What is it about java that you want to avoid? Is it just
that you perceive it as a band wagon that everyone and their brother is
jumping on to look cool?

My current project involves dealing with mobile devices and understanding their
development frameworks.  I have found J2ME to be an excellent platform to
develop apps but is still not quite complete.  The issue is mobile devices have
gotten more advanced but the core J2ME hasn't rapidly folded in more standard
feature sets from its big J2SE big brother (the base MIDP/CLDC profile is bare).
Things like security, web services, messaging, even local filesystem access are
part of optional JSR's and not the core J2ME spec, i.e everyone's phone could
have a different implemented profile of a J2ME runtime (so my Treo might have
web services client side support while your BlackBerry might not but it might
have the Mobile Media API).

IBM seems to offer the most complete environment with their Workplace Anywhere
tooklit which contains the core JVM (KVM), various J2ME extensions, and a
streamlined Eclipse IDE for J2ME development.  Anyone interested should check
out their site.

I think one interesting project would be to create a library (appropriate for a
J2ME environment) that abstracts the functionality of the NXT.  I'm not sure if
there are already APIs defined in various JSR's that apply and the only thing
left is to write the backend (JNI in C) reference implementation.  Perhaps Lego
already has such an interface for phones, not really sure.

Well, its food for thought...

-aps