 Robotics / 23423
Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:52:32 GMT

In lugnet.build, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.build, Iain Hendry wrote:
"Nathanael Kuipers" <kuipers_n@hotmail.com> wrote:

Once moderated click <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=114736
here> or on the pic for more...

I can only echo what others have wrote - absolutely amazing work!  You truly
have a talent and a feel for the brick.

    Iain

(This is unrelated, and I don't want to steer this topic away from your
truck - if someone could email me, though, and let me know where this is
from:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=554242 , what it is,
or where I could find more photos, I'd love it.)

That was from LEGOWorld, October 2003 in Holland. It was an automated car
assembly line, consisting of  RCX controlled work carriers that travelled from
cell to cell across a number of cells. Each cell had a selection of parts that
it added in several operations, then the carriers incremented.  The goal was to
get a whole car out the other end with a subsidiary goal being that you could
reconfigure for different cars as long as they were buildable with the parts
assortment at the workstation/cells.

Try searching on BrickShelf using LEGOWORLD 2003 as keywords, or searching here
on LUGNET.

I saw it, and it was pretty darn cool, even if the two fellows working on it
(italians IIRC but I forget) never got it to completely work right in the 5 days
it was up. the potential was there though. It consumed an AMAZING number of
RCXes and of long technic beams.

Hope that helps. I didn't answer via email because others may be able to add
more.

XFUT lugnet.robotics.

++Lar

Yep Larry is right. It was a great piece of arts. It was actually built by two
dutch guys: Martijn Boogaarts and Gerrit Bronsveld. Correct me if I'm wrong but
it used 23 RCXes!!

Unfortunately it didn't work flawless but I think the main reason for that is
the car; it was quite hard to build with the 'factory'. The worst thing is they
asked me to design the car, so actually it's me to blame.... :-P

nate