 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2512
  MOC 8436: Cranetruck

Being inspired by the 4100 cranetruck, I decided to build another one a bit more challenging. So I transformed the 8436 truck into another cranetruck: (URL) It has many functions like pneumatic boom and stands, rotating cabin and ofcourse steering. (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX) !!

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) That is really, really good - it has the essence/spirit of the real thing. It makes me want to break open the 8436 I have and build your model. Jennifer (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

Nathanial Kuipers- Very nice crane! Did you build it out of one or two sets of 8436? (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) (snip) (...) Wow! Superb model, and great presentation, your photography technique is very good. of course the most impressive bit is that you did it all with 8436. Wouldn't it be great if LEGO started making fan created alternate model (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Ughh... you're killing me here... I just got 8436 for Christmas... I want to build this... I need instructions... argh... I don't have your skills... I just want to recreate yours... Allow me to vent... When I was a kid the only frustrating (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

I'm pretty sure that soon you'll find a black, unmarked vehicle at your doorstep, from where two men in suits will emerge to ask you to join the Lego development group. Failure to comply will result in a direct assasination, since we all know (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) You really have quite a wide range of talent. Not only do you do good sports cars, but you have done robots, boats, people, trucks- all out of Lego kits. Maybe now you can start building construction vehicles. I assume you did not use a winch (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Oh wow... Great model, and great photography! I'm totally amazed at people who can build in Technic, and it's even more impressive that you only used parts from 8436! Looks like an official model. Instructions? :) -Bryan (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

how do you do that? ???...??? With pieces from ONE set? I always run out of pieces or need another one of that piece (etc.). Yours look like they all belong there. Lego would have sold a lot more sets if this was the model I think. Steve (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

Hello Nathanael, You are really an incredible builder! Everything here is outstanding: functionnality, design, quality of photography... I'd like to know how much time you spent on this wonder. I guess it would take me much more time simply trying (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Wow, It's the first time I regretted not buying <set:8436>. The model is obviously better than the original 8436, if you have plans to make instructions for it PLEASE let us know while this set is still available, because for me such (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) (URL) here> or on the pic for more... I can only echo what others have wrote - absolutely amazing work! You truly have a talent and a feel for the brick. Iain (This is unrelated, and I don't want to steer this topic away from your truck - if (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) That was from LEGOWorld, October 2003 in Holland. It was an automated car assembly line, consisting of RCX controlled work carriers that travelled from cell to cell across a number of cells. Each cell had a selection of parts that it added in (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) It uses only one set to build! That's the challenge for me ;-) Nate (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Good models without good pictures is a real pity. Would be great if LEGO would support that! :-) If not maybe I should consider publishing a book with many of my alternate models.... (...) The pictures don't do it justice. The turning radius (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) <snip> (...) :-S Are you sure you want me to share more of this??! It seems like it's not good for you and I really don't want to get you upset or something. Actually I feel a bit ashamed I didn't help you out more to reconstruct the models... (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Well in a way you are correct. I haven't seen the black unmarked vehicle but do have received an invitation to cooperate with LEGO as a freelancer for at least 1 project... :-) Nate (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Thanks Nathan! It's always good to explore new things. That's why I try to build new and inspiring things all the time. It's also good to get a clue what your limitations are and I'm still making progression... I don't have the excavator. I (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Hey Steve! How are you doing? Actually I can't give you a satisfying answer because I don't know how I do that. I just do.... :-P However I'm always convinced that sets do have a nice piece selection with which you can achieve great things! (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Hi Philo, Thanks for your kind reply. I do my best. I've spent a week to come to this model and it still has some minor flaws that might need improvement, but maybe that's just my thought.. Nate (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Yep Larry is right. It was a great piece of arts. It was actually built by two dutch guys: Martijn Boogaarts and Gerrit Bronsveld. Correct me if I'm wrong but it used 23 RCXes!! Unfortunately it didn't work flawless but I think the main reason (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

I DO hope you are going to accept that invitation? Couldn't see anything bad coming from that. (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) VERY cool. GREAT news. Presumably you are under NDA and maybe shouldn't have even said that much (smile) but... go you! Congrats and we'll all be waiting to see what happens... (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Cheer up, Paul, he's done instructions for some of his other models. Perhaps if you bribed him??? (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) is (...) they (...) (Thanks Larry and Nate for the background on this project!) You have to undestand how inspirational this is to me. For the past few years, on-and-off I am working on building a little LEGO duck assembly carousel. I haven't (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) I'm not sure I agree with that. There were, as I recall, some difficult insertion steps but overall, it seemed buildable. The root problem in my view is just that the mean time to failure of individual constructed components (given reliability (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) -- snipped the rest of my goofy reply --- (...) Aw, you know I'm just kidding. Please, don't stop! I'm not really upset. I was just trying to guilt you into making me instructions... :-) (...) Okay, maybe I've been too pushy about the (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: MOC 8436: Cranetruck

(...) Yeah, I'm not really sad. I was just trying to bribe him with guilt(1). It's cheaper than bribing with money ;-> -Paul (1) I think I learned this technique from my Italian grandmother... (19 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, FTX)