 Robotics / 22093
Re: Balancing robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:31:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> wrote:

How does a balancing robot like Legway balance on a patterned floor? Or can
it?

But the Legway (for instance) can't measure the position of wheel or the
wheel velocity. You can pretend that the motor commands correspond to the
wheel velocity and smooth or integrate those numbers. That helps with
balance but the results (in my simulation) are never as good as a robot
that has wheel encoders. Is it possible to measure wheel velocity by
measuring the motor back-emf?

I don't think there's a good source for this data (motor back-emf) using an RCX.
Yes, Legway just used the motor commands to simulate the wheel velocity.  It
would have greatly increased the complexity of the wheel assembly to add
rotation sensors, including adding 'slop' into the drivetrain.

On a patterened floor, maybe you can have several IR sensors and discard
the measurements with the bigest changes on the assumption that they
represent a change in the pattern.

Has anyone tried it?

Legway uses two sensors to follow a line.  So when one of the sensor readings
drop, it assumes the sensor is over the line, it ignores that sensor, and turns
the robot in that direction.

It also seems to work pretty well on wood grain (like a table top).

But it must have one of it's (two) sensors over a white (or light) area, or it
doesn't get usable readings from the EOPDs.

I think you could make the same scheme work on a patterned floor, if you can
mount the sensors so at least one of them is on a light area.  Or, you may be
able to find sensors that are not affected by the surface color.  For example,
an ultrasonic sensor may work well for that.

Steve

Steve