 Robotics / 14941
Re: robotica on TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:29:43 GMT

Dean Hystad wrote:

Even without that, it helps. My 10 year old son used to tell the kids at
school that he built Lego robots that could really drive around and do things
and the other kids would roll their eyes and mouth "Geek...Nerd..." etc.  Now
they are *VERY* interested - I think these various cheesy programs have made
that change.   Not that they learned any science from the show - but maybe
they now have a little more respect and interest in that kind of thing.

Look into getting your son and yourself involved in the First Lego League.
I judged some competitions last fall and it was a blast.  Very worthwhile.

I'm also a HUGE fan of that other British series "Scrapheap" (known as
"Junkyard Wars" here in the USA - because...em...well)...a bunch of guys
are dumped in the middle of a massive junkyard with the task of building
some maniac machine in 8 hours from only the scrap laying around them.
Two teams do this - and at the end the contraptions they build compete
in some way.

I too am a big fan.  Though I would prefer it if they weren't quite so
obvious about seeding the junkyard with "really good junk".  I've never seen
so many oil drums in such pristine condition.  And the proportion of working
automobile engines vs derelicts is a tad high to be believed.

I love this show also, they build 'robots' that have human computers, but they
could be a robot easily, most of the time with a good enough software package.  In
the US version, there were brand new engines that had been installed on crashed
motorcycles and such.  The body was totaled, but the engine did not even have a
scratch.

That series really *does* push the science - quite a bit of the
show is taken up with discussing the engineering merits of the
teams approaches and there are little science inserts explaining
why one method is better than another...cool stuff - by *FAR* my
(and my son's) favorite TV show.

My 4 year old daughter has the uncanny ability to pick the winning team as
soon as the two designs are presented.  I know it's just luck, but it gets
spooky after a while.

Yes, I can guess with a high probability how many fingers a person is holding up,
and it scares people if I do it 4 out of 5 times.

Andy