 Robotics / 14929
Re: robotica on TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:29:34 GMT

Dean Hystad wrote:

I think it would be a much more painful experience to watch autonimous
robots out there bashing away at each other.  Both from an entertainment and
philosophical level.

I think that's a bit extreme...but I think it would be quite hard to televise.
a *real* robotic challenge.

From an entertainment standpoint, I imagine it would be painfully dull.
Given the prize money I can't imagine the quality of the robots would be
very good.  I envision bouts where competators never engage each other, but
rather blunder into obstacles as they blindly wander around.

Yes.

Also, you'd need ways to make the two robots mutually detectable - a big
IR emitter on top of each one...but to make it a useful competition, I
imagine you'd also want some way to figure out which way the other bot
was facing.

From a philsophical standpoint, is this what you want robots to be doing?
It's way to Terminator for my tastes.  I know that cleaning up hazardous
waste, freeing humans from performing monotonous repetative tasks, or doing
interplanetary exploration are not great entertainment, but they are better
science.

I think it's worth-while...it gets kids' interest - it makes science and
engineering seem more "cool" - I think even the non-robotic contests (and
there are three of them on TV now:  Robotica, Robot Wars and BattleBots)
have value in that respect.  There is no doubt that good engineering
and ingiuity counts for a lot in those contests - sensor technology
and software doesn't - but one out of three ain't bad for starters.

* Robotica is the new one on TLC.
* BattleBots is quite old and runs on Comedy Central.
* Robot Wars is a British series but can be seen in the US on BBC America
  and (I think) has been on TLC also.

I didn't see Robotica - but BattleBots is just mindless robot smashing
with an annoying sports commentary style.  I quite like Robot Wars though...
it has lots of other contests like an obstacle course, a tug-of-war, a
sumo-like game, robot soccer...and it only *ends* with a mindless violence
round.  Quite a few of the Robot Wars "robots" can be seen on BattleBots
too.

Somewhere on slashdot they said that Robot Wars is going to be shown
here in the US on some other channel and that there was going to be
a US version of it...this is definitely a genre that's here to stay.

It's disappointing that they don't spell out clearly the difference
between these things and true robots - but I still find them more
entertaining than a lot of TV sports.

If you actually look at some of the home pages for the "robots" that
compete in these things, you'll see that some of them are beginning
to have computers on-board to assist the human driver.

But if you really wan't to change this "Battle Bots", "Robotica" trend, quit
your whining and enter the fray.  An entry with a little on board
intelligence could probably clean house.

Some of them already have that.  Watch the shows carefully and you'll see that
many of the drivers are using joysticks plugged into LapTops - some are using
radio modems to communicate with on-board computers.

Navagation seems to be a problem
with.  Something that makes it easier to move the robot around in more
controlled manner would be a great benefit.  Target recognition and
automatic deployment of the offensive weapon(s) could also be a big
advantage.

That's the biggest problem.  There is no way to identify the other robot.
Any kind of thermal technique would be wiped out by the hot TV lights,
any kind of image recognition is going to be VERY hard with that huge
audience jumping up and down - camera flashbulbs going off, etc.

What I think it would take would be to add a rule that every robot must
contain a GPS unit and broadcast it's position continually for the other
competitor to pick up.

And once you started cleaning up, the competition would have to
follow your lead.

I think it would be almost impossible to beat a human competitor
with the rules the way they are now.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>