 Robotics / 15029
RE: robotica on TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:37:46 GMT

My 6 year-old daughter and I belly up to a big ole bowl of popcorn and watch
each and every Monday while Mom is away.  I remember hearing somewhere that
Junkyard Wars is moving to LA.  Has anyone else heard this?

Steven B. Combs, MS, CIT
Associate Professor - Instructional Technologist
Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana
3501 First Avenue
Evansville, IN 47710
812.429.1476
mailto:scombs@ivy.tec.in.us
http://faculty.ivy.tec.in.us/~scombs

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf Of
George Haberberger
Sent: Friday, 06 April 2001 12:08 PM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: robotica on TLC

In lugnet.robotics, Dean Hystad writes:
I'm also a HUGE fan of that other British series "Scrapheap" (known as
"Junkyard Wars" here in the USA - because...em...well)...a bunch of guys
are dumped in the middle of a massive junkyard with the task of building
some maniac machine in 8 hours from only the scrap laying around them.
Two teams do this - and at the end the contraptions they build compete
in some way.

I too am a big fan.  Though I would prefer it if they weren't quite so
obvious about seeding the junkyard with "really good junk".  I've never • seen
so many oil drums in such pristine condition.  And the proportion of • working
automobile engines vs derelicts is a tad high to be believed.

I'm also a big fan of Junkyard Wars, they give my Rock Raiders figs someone
to emulate.

I think most of the seeding is done for safety reasons; I wouldn't want to
be anywhere near someone trying to make their own rocket fuels/motors. Also,
in England the valves used all have to new and certified for safety reasons.

George