 Robotics / 15068
Re: robotica on TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:28:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mike Morrow writes:
Wow, imagine my surprise when our web tracking software indicated we were
getting hits from a newsgroup I'd never heard of!   I'm glad it did, because
I've found a great deal of useful information here.

  Heh, Glad you found it useful!

As for the pictures, Nathan, you are correct.  We, like many other teams, use
Legos to prototype and test out ideas.   I would say 20%-30% of combat "robot"
builders are avid Lego enthusiasts.

  Hmmm...I wonder how many Lego enthusiasts are also combat robot enthusiasts:)

U3386 is a shot of the early pre-juggerbot development days.  From
left-to-right is 1)a functional model of my 1987 Dodge Ramcharger's central
axle disconnect, 2)an early walker concept of mine (it didn't work:), and 3)an
early drivetrain concept- it could switch drive direction 90 degrees almost
instantly by pneumatically extending/retracting an offset set of drive wheels.

  Sounds like you really know you Lego Technic, I thought you might only be
using them to illustrate ideas.  BTW, do you have any pictures of the
Ramcharger?  A similar model was posted here not long ago, though I think it
was Chevy.

U3696 has our JuggerBot kinematic model on the left.  This is a Znap frame with
Technics mechanics.  It was intended to test our concepts of angle of
approach/departure.  I illustrated this with Legos in the pre-contest Robotica
background filming at my house.  I'm not sure if they'll use it- won't know
until the episode airs next week.

As for the whole robot controversy, I agree that these are not "robots" but
giant RC toys.  Some people do have on-board processing for certain tasks or
subsystems, but these devices still require human control for the most part.
But BattleRC or Radio-Controllica just doesn't have the same ring to it I
suppose.

Mike
Team Lead
TEAM:JuggerBot
www.juggerbot.com
TLC Robotica Episode 105- April 18th, 2001
Battlebots May, 2001

Thanks for responding, I hope I can get a 'giant RC toy' competition going
at my high school next year:)
-Nathan