 Robotics / 14831
  List software?

What software runs this mailing list? I ask because I'd like to find out what it would take to get it to put the ML address into messages as the Reply-To address. I run a couple of lists myself (using 7-line SED scripts) and it seems like this (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

(...) No no no no no no no!!!! I ABSOLUTELY hate mailing lists that do that; it makes it near impossible to reply just to the sender. --Ken (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

(...) In my experience, one wants to reply to the list more often than just to the sender. Perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, anyone wishing to just reply to the sender would remove the list address from their outgoing message, and fill in the sender's (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

So what software does this? If it is so common to have in an e-mail program, then which do it? Andy (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

(...) Ditto. I find this *INCREDIBLY* annoying - because this is the only one of over a dozen mailing lists that I'm subscribed to that works this way. What ends up happening is that people *don't* politely edit the 'To:' lines - instead they hit (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

Steve Baker writes: > Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote: > > > I can't enumerate the number of time's (like just a moment ago) > > that I replied directly to the sender, not to the list, forgetting > > to change the To line. > > What ends up happening is (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

(...) I don't think that's commonly available - I don't see it under either PINE or Netscape 4.x (the two mailers I use regularly). The observed fact that I get duplicate replies to nearly every message I post to this list suggests that even if that (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

Steve Baker writes: > > If you're stuck using software you can't change, ask the author to fix it. > > Well, I maintain that since everyone won't do that, There is no point in discussing this issue further. Spend your energy fixing your software, or (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

I think that people think it is a pain in the a$$, as there has been a post on this before, but it has been this way for a long time, and people are used to having to delete senders. I am not saying that I like to do this (I don't), but that people (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

Andy Gombos writes: > So what software does this? If it is so common to have in an > e-mail program, then which do it? I know of no email software with a "Reply to Recipient" command -- *THAT* is the problem. That's why mailing list operators are (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

(...) Try Pegasus (version 3.12c), you have tag-marks to select whom to reply to from all the entries in the header, works perfectly. Andreas (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

(...) I didn't mean to start such a firestorm about this. I suspect, reality being lazy, that it's easier to fix a 'problem' like this in one place (the centralized mailing-list software) and not in a great multitude of places (everyone's varied (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

"Russell Nelson" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:15049.48238.578...nwr.com... (...) Try Outlook Express (is avaible for Win 9x, Win NT, Solaris, Linux, Unix) This program has a Reply Group button and Reply (to sender) works great. (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

Doesn't "Reply to Group" only work with New Groups (NNTP), not e-mail lists? And don't ALL e-mail clients have a 'Reply To All' function? Can't you just do that and erase the recipient you don't want (in this case, the sender)? -- V (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: List software?

(...) ^^^^^ What?! That is completely new to me :-) On Linux, use mutt, this mailer does SSL and all sorts of fancy replies. (23 years ago, 6-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Reply-To setting in mailing lists

(...) Chris, The quick answer is that the list software you're using is called "ezmlm" (URL). A more complete answer, however, is that you're actually on a pure- mailing-list half of a bidirectional mailing-list-to-newsgroup gateway. That is, some (...) (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.nntp)