 Publishing / 3604
Re: Brickmania withdraws from Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:25:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

You know, I really didn't want to post to this thread but, I just rememered
a comic strip, "Zits."  Do you read it?  It's ocassionally funny, but there
was a series about a week ago where the main character was all pissed off
because his favorite online joke site hadn't updated that week, and he was
explaining to his father why the site "owed" him his weekly dose of humor
without having to pay for it.  The point the strip made was that some
websites are doing a service for us for free and we take it for granted.
Then showing how we figure that "they" owe "us" to provide us for this
service on demand.

Now BS is an amazing thing.  It's free, I can upload as many pictures as I
want.  I am incredibly grateful for the thing.  But I also appreciate that I
am at the mercy of whomever owns it.  Should they say they don't want to
post one of my pictures, for whatever reason, that is their right.  They own
the site, not me.  If I want that freedom, I'll put it on my site.  I can
understand where folks are coming from, and BS ~should~ say what the
criteria is for moderation.  If for no other reason that posters know what
to avoid.  But know that they don't have to.  I just remind myself that
whomever owns BS has the God given right just to take BS off line if they want.

Also another note, and I'll be done.  This discussion (moderation) started
well before 9/11, so please do not equate it to that.  This is not part of
the kneejerk reaction of terrorism.  I remember the previous picture in
question (someone's pile of Lego in a room, off to one side was a piece of
artwork < on it's side and in process....> with a bare chested woman on it.)
Please, please, please, Obi-wan-Osama-qui-gon-laden has nothing to do with
this string.

Mark Neumann