 Pirates / 4259
4258  |  4260
Subject:
The pirate sloop Revenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 01:31:24 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Revenge

Long time readers of .pirates may recall the pirate sloop Revenge (formerly the chasse maree Azelma), which was, for a time, the only pirate presence in the waters surrounding Port Brique.
The old revenge was a simple vessel, built during the great building boom of 1803. She had a number of features that Port Brique regarded as innovative at the time, but are now - correctly - considered quite dodgy. (Look how the ratlines are secured to the hull! Eek!)

The old Revenge

Another pirate ship, the nameless brigantine of one Captain Redbeard, was recently brought into Port Brique as a prize and promptly stripped down. Some of parts were regarded as useless (no doubt designed by Eise the younger) by the more conservative shipwrights and promptly discarded.

Pirate Captain Jane Hookhand had always longed for a ‘proper’ looking ship rather than the flush decked Revenge, so she (and some of her more nimble crew - those with no more than one missing eye and no more than two missing extremities) broke into the shipyard and grabbed the discarded sterncastle from the brigantine.

For the next few weeks, Captain Jane careened the Revenge and, with the help of some shipwrights ‘borrowed’ (techically, ‘kidnapped’) from Port Brique, she rebuilt the sloop into a proper looking pirate ship. Sure, it only had one mast still, but it looks the part - and has a proper sterncastle, an accessible gundeck, and more sail area besides:

Like the original Revenge, this one uses the Flybo hull with a centre extension of inverse slopes - although it’s now a six stud extension rather than four to allow for the tall slope tumblehome with two gunports aside (I don’t seem to have any 2x1x3 tall slopes in green).

Apologies for the blurry pics. But until I’m at home, at the right time, on a sunny day, they’ll have to do!

(I’ll post a review of 7075 seperately. A much maligned vessel.... but it’s a pirate ship, and there are some great parts in there, so it’s definitely worth getting - at the right price!)

Adieu

Richie Dulin