 Pirates / 4168
Re: Those openings in bow pieces...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:02:25 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
In lugnet.pirates, Kurt Baty wrote:
In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
Ahoy,

Both types of hull bow pieces have roughly 2x2 opeings in them.... what are
they for?

I originally thought they were either cannon ports or openings for anchors,
but the official LEGO models I've seen use them for neither.

It is possible, though awkward, to use one as a cannon port, but I haven't
found a satisfactory way to mount a 2x2 flag (or anything else, for that
matter) as a gunport lid.

I saw this post, and I viewed it as a challenge,

see:
<http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=4153>

and

see:
<http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=4154>

I used both as gun ports (in the 16 wide bow) and mounted 2x2 flags as gunport
lids.

what do you think?

A nice solution... am I right in thinking the 2x2 with handle (that holds the
gunport lid) is mounted studs outward?

A headlight brick on the bow piece, plate 1 x 3 AT THE HALF STUD on the
headlight brick's side stud, with a plate 1 x 1 and the
'Plate 1 x 2 with Handle' (2540), with a tile 1 x 4 on them.

I think it centers well over the gun port opening, it's close to the hull,
and it hangs down just right.

Get a good fiction contact with the plate 1 x 3's  backside half stud and the
hollow side stud on the headlight brick. And have a upper plate level
cover/secure the top stud on the headlight brick.

I built it in colors, so that you could see:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kurt/lego-details/bow_gun_port_top.jpg>>

in:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115610>

The recolouring of the bow piece helps make the gunport look like it belongs,
too.

I think so too.

enjoy

   kurt