 Pirates / 1607
Re: Iron Clads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:24:04 GMT

In lugnet.western, David Little writes:
Has anyone out there tryed to build any Iron Clads ships from the Civil War
Era.  Just curious.

   It depends on what you mean by "Ironclads." I've done ironclads,
   but they're the oceangoing European sort--really overgrown frigates--
   not the coastal or riverine sort that usually is associated with
   the US Civil War.  (Sorry, no pics at the moment--the _Gloire_
   page is still offline.)  An "ironclad" is technically a ship with
   a wooden hull sheathed in iron; thus, the French _Gloire_ was a
   true ironclad, while the British _Warrior_ isn't (it's still
   in existence at Portsmouth, thus the "is") because the actual
   hull is iron, though some wood is used in the armour to absorb
   shot energy; the Confederate _Virginia_ (ex-Federal _Merrimack_)
   was a true ironclad, the USS _Monitor_ really wasn't/isn't (it
   was built completely of iron, IIRC). [1]

   I've been kicking around building a late-war _Montauk_-style
   Union monitor, but the biggest problems, quite honestly, are
   the dadgummed round turrets. [2]  The hulls are quite easy by com-
   parison.  Confederate ironclads like _Virginia_ and _Tennessee_
   are easier only because they've got deckhouses instead of
   turrets, but I've still had little luck with those--they have
   conical ends to the gun deck, another bear to render.  (This
   may not be true viz. _Tennessee_--drawings and paintings I've
   seen vary, much as they do for Hampton Roads and the actual
   appearance of the combatants there.)

   There were smaller river ironclads that had square deckhouses;
   well, not actually square, but kind of pyramidal (if you cut the
   top 4/5 off the pyramid, that is).  Those could be done with 4 or 8
   of the MTT 2x2x3 steep-slope dkgrey corners, methinks.  Barring
   that, med-slope corners may be passable.

   I suppose the short answer, then, is "not really."

   best (and hopefully informatively?),

   Lindsay

   Xpost -> .pirates, .boats for their considerable expertise;
   FUT -> .western solo [3] again.

   [1] The uncertainty regarding the verb tense reflects uncertainty
       in the current status of _Monitor_.  It's not afloat, but its
       sunken hull off Cape Hatteras is still popular with more...
       'adventurous' divers.  By my last reckoning, there was talk in
       the US Navy about conserving the hull where it lies--it's in
       serious danger of deteriorating to the point of unrecognition,
       and it is still technically a war grave and the property of
       the USN.

   [2] These were the ones with two turrets, each with two 11"
       Dahlgren guns.

   [3] Not "western solo" as in Roy Rogers singing alone...