 Western/Wild West / 379
Re: Iron Clads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:38:34 GMT

Do you think the boat hull from the adventure set would do for a small
version.  I am considering getting some of those sets to build some small
versions of iron clads.  Or do you think that they are not wide enough.
Thank you for your help
David
http://moiraine24.homestead.com/Main.html
  It depends on what you mean by "Ironclads." I've done ironclads,
  but they're the oceangoing European sort--really overgrown frigates--
  not the coastal or riverine sort that usually is associated with
  the US Civil War.  (Sorry, no pics at the moment--the _Gloire_
  page is still offline.)  An "ironclad" is technically a ship with
  a wooden hull sheathed in iron; thus, the French _Gloire_ was a
  true ironclad, while the British _Warrior_ isn't (it's still
  in existence at Portsmouth, thus the "is") because the actual
  hull is iron, though some wood is used in the armour to absorb
  shot energy; the Confederate _Virginia_ (ex-Federal _Merrimack_)
  was a true ironclad, the USS _Monitor_ really wasn't/isn't (it
  was built completely of iron, IIRC). [1]

  I've been kicking around building a late-war _Montauk_-style
  Union monitor, but the biggest problems, quite honestly, are
  the dadgummed round turrets. [2]  The hulls are quite easy by com-
  parison.  Confederate ironclads like _Virginia_ and _Tennessee_
  are easier only because they've got deckhouses instead of
  turrets, but I've still had little luck with those--they have
  conical ends to the gun deck, another bear to render.  (This
  may not be true viz. _Tennessee_--drawings and paintings I've
  seen vary, much as they do for Hampton Roads and the actual
  appearance of the combatants there.)

  There were smaller river ironclads that had square deckhouses;
  well, not actually square, but kind of pyramidal (if you cut the
  top 4/5 off the pyramid, that is).  Those could be done with 4 or 8
  of the MTT 2x2x3 steep-slope dkgrey corners, methinks.  Barring
  that, med-slope corners may be passable.

  I suppose the short answer, then, is "not really."

  best (and hopefully informatively?),

  Lindsay