 Pirates / 1606
1605  |  1607
Subject:
Minifig Escort Destroyer HES Indescribable (MB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:02:22 GMT

Evening all,

The largely Mega Bloks Minifig Escort Destroyer HES Indescribable made her
maiden cruise on the weekend (after salvage and refit) at Studfest VII.  I
will get around to some Port Block Yards shots in due course, but for now
(temporarily), here are some happy snaps from the last Studfest:

Overview: http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/101-12-n.jpg
Bridge: http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/101-13-n.jpg
Amidships: http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/101-09-n.jpg
Aft(ish): http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/101-14-n.jpg

Being an escort destroyer, she's rather long and narrow, built for speed not
haulage.

Width: 16 studs
Length: 168 studs
Height: 32 blocks (waterline to top of bridge, ie excl main mast)

Armament:
    1 x Twin 5" turret (forward)
    3 x quad 40mm pom pom (midships, aft, and stern)
    2 x depth charge drop racks (stern, well duh)
    2 x 20mm MG (lower bridge wings)

The original British Hunt Class mounted 5" guns aft and occasionally two
torpedo tubes amidships, but AA and anti-sub is what Valhalla needed, so
that's what PBY built.  The originals also had a two pounder mounted right
up in the tip of the bow (for batting away torpedo boats).  I had a few
attempts at that, but they all looked silly.  I took some solace from the
fact that the original also looked silly in that configuration ;-)

Careful with your follow-ups :-\

Richard
Still studly going...
http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/welcome.htm