 Pirates / 1573
Re: HES Valhalla
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:51:21 GMT

"Franklin W. Cain" wrote:

I've not had my internet access for most of the weekend;
I just got it back (no explanation, it's just back...)  :-P

What'd you do, accidentally format your hard drive or some other such
embarrassing misteak? You must not be paying the great Lar enough
homage...

Anyway...

This is something that has been bothering me (to a small degree)
for a while now.

I would say that ".general" would be a good default newsgroup
for such, or ".build"; one of the two should be the "follow-up" group.
I would say that ".boats" and ".pirates" would be OK
for the _initial_ post, but I really don't want to see the follow-up posts
for industrial-age warships (1850s+) in ".pirates".

I think it's a tricky line. Richard Parson's modern and futuristic
creations are all part of his Port Block story line which to me is very
piraty. I also think that .pirates is where the folks who are most
deeply into naval history hang out. If .pirates had an overwhelming post
volume, I would probably have a different opinion, but I for one want to
see Richard's and Lindsay's posts to stay here (in fact, I got somewhat
annoyed one time when Lindsay did direct the discussion out to .boats -
it made it annoying to follow in the news reader).

Now someone just showing off their latest W.W.II carrier or whatever may
not belong here.

Wooden hulls, cutlasses, and black powder do _not_ have a chance
against ironclads, Maxim (or Gatling) guns, and smokeless powder.  ;-)
Also, you do _not_ see these in the same literature or movies, do you?
;-)  I mean, really, what chance would Captain Blood (Errol Flynn) have
against the Nazis and the Guns of Navarronne?  ;-)

Actually he might have done just dandy... I'm not sure how a tall ship
shows up on radar, but it might be a pretty stealthy way to approach a
shore installation like that.

Just my little opinion.

Frank