 Pirates / 1572
Re: HES Valhalla
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:36:40 GMT

I've not had my internet access for most of the weekend;
I just got it back (no explanation, it's just back...)  :-P

Anyway...

This is something that has been bothering me (to a small degree)
for a while now.

I would say that ".general" would be a good default newsgroup
for such, or ".build"; one of the two should be the "follow-up" group.
I would say that ".boats" and ".pirates" would be OK
for the _initial_ post, but I really don't want to see the follow-up posts
for industrial-age warships (1850s+) in ".pirates".
I like modern ships in Lego just fine (I admore the skill it takes
to do these as much as I admire the skill in building any other genre
in Lego)...  But I do _not_ want to see them in the same "waters"
(if you will) as the more traditional pirate ships (i.e., "Age of Sail"
vessels, circa 1600s-1700s).

Wooden hulls, cutlasses, and black powder do _not_ have a chance
against ironclads, Maxim (or Gatling) guns, and smokeless powder.  ;-)
Also, you do _not_ see these in the same literature or movies, do you?
;-)  I mean, really, what chance would Captain Blood (Errol Flynn) have
against the Nazis and the Guns of Navarronne?  ;-)

Let's please be consistent with our shared fantasies.  ;-)

...Well, OK, I'll make a _small_ exception in the case of Captain Nemo
and the Nautilus, but that's it.  ;-)

But that's just my preference.  PLEASE do not consider this post
a "flame" or a declaration of hostilities.  It's just my opinion.

Thanks,
Franklin