 Pirates / 1194
Re: A BSB at Port Block
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:19:05 GMT

Also, depending on the prevailing wind at the time (iirc) the potr or starboard
side one was used.

john

In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:
Tony Priestman wrote:

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Mr L F Braun (<390F2DCB.AD21EEF5@pilot.msu.edu>)
wrote at 19:34:35

Steve Campbell wrote:

I discovered last
night that the "wings" from a 6493 Flying Time Vessel make a really nice
bowsprit area (don't know the official term or even if there is one.)

Prow?

It's called the beak, or beak-head, and I'd love to see some pictures of
a late 18th/ early 19th century one.

<Zinger from left field (1)>
Or just plain "head". Which is where that particular term for the place
you go to get rid of those beers.

One thing though, on real ships, it's rarely actually a solid deck, but
rather a framework with netting. I think the original purpose was just
to brace the bowsprit, and the netting is just to make it a little safer
for people who need to be out there for sailing tasks. Of course someone
figured out that it also made a dandy place to relieve oneself.

(1) I'm ghoing back over lugnet.pirates and processing all the messages
I left unread for later processing.