 Organizations / United States / ULUG / * (-5)
Subject:
GBLT&C Logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.ulug
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:06:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

To all,

The Great Basin Lego Train Club (GBLT&C) located in and around Salt Lake City, Utah is pleased to unveil our new LOGO ...

We based the LOGO on the 1970-1997 Rio Grande LOGO ...

GBLT&C has been functioning in one capacity or another since 2000.

In 2006 ULUG (Utah LUG) was created and merged with GBLT&C.

Since the merger both clubs have experienced phenomenal internal growth and overwhelming support from the community.

In 2007, we attended 9 shows in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Nevada.

To date in 2008, we have attended two shows with 6 more shows scheduled and another 3 shows in the planning stages.

--Brian

Subject:
ULUG will attend The Wasatch Rails Train Show in Salt Lake City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.ulug, lugnet.town, lugnet.announce
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:37:20 GMT

To all,

ULUG will be attending the Wasatch Rails Train Show in Salt Lake City this
weekend.  This show officially kicks off our train year.  Ironically, this will
be our first year anniversary train show.  Reed, as President of GBLT&C, has
been attending train shows for years.

Here are the details:

SHOW - Wasatch Rails 2007 Train Show
DATE - November 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, 2007
LOCATION - Grand Building at the Utah State Fairpark
155 North 1000 West in Salt Lake City
HOURS - Friday 5PM to 9PM - Saturday 9AM to 6PM - Sunday 10AM - 4PM
COST - Adults $5.00 - Children 12 and under are FREE!

If you are in the area, please stop by.

--Brian

Subject:
Weren't we all expecting this??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.ulug
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:09:52 GMT

In someways I knew this would happen and I have been expecting this day.

Hopefully, it means the downfall of MegaBloks forever!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/19/business/worldbusiness/19safety.html?_r=3&ref=business&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

--Brian

Re: Powering 9v Trains using the NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.ulug
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:45:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Pilati wrote:

1- Power the train simply using the NXT and the
converter cables.  Too much battery drain during
the show.

Are you using the NXT on batteries alone, or using the Li-ion battery pack so
you can plug the NXT into a wall for more consistant power?

2- Isolate a section of track via a switch and power
the train via a converter cable only when the train
is on the isolated section.  This has probably been
the best approach.

As others have noted, this has worked well with the RCX. It's essentially how
the GBC trains are controled (except there the entire track ends up powered by
RCXs, just multiple RCXs with multipl segments per RCX :-) ).

3- Attached a servo motor to the 9v modulator and then
programmed rotations from the NXT to the servo motor to
determine speed.  There was much difficulty
attaching the servo to the modulator.

Have you looked at this?

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=26726&t=i&v=a

Is there a better way?

I don't think anyone has ported LDDC to the NXT... yet... but i would think that
any solution that worked with the RCX (like direct-powering the trains, at least
small ones) would work with the NXT only perhaps better (the 500 mA limit being
raised on the output ports).

--
Brian Davis

Re: Powering 9v Trains using the NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.ulug
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:36:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Pilati wrote:
To all,

I would like to find a way (simple way that is) to power our LTC 9v trains using
both the standard LEGO 9v train modulator and the NXT.

We have attempted the following:
1- Power the train simply using the NXT and the converter cables.  Too much
battery drain during the show.
2- Isolate a section of track via a switch and power the train via a converter
cable only when the train is on the isolated section.  This has probably been
the best approach.
3- Attached a servo motor to the 9v modulator and then programmed rotations from
the NXT to the servo motor to determine speed.  There was much difficulty
attaching the servo to the modulator.

Is there a better way?

Thank you,
--Brian ULUG/GBLTC

I'm not sure if there's a better way, and I haven't tried it with an NXT, but
I've had good luck with option 2 using an RCX.  I isolated the track by putting
a bit of clear tape over the ends that connect to the other track sections.

-Elroy

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact