Re: ICLTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:03:34 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...
In lugnet.trains.org, Kevin Wilson writes:
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...

Wow, that's kind of surprising to hear.  I've been meaning to ask, as • this
thread has unfolded...  Are women allowed in LEGO train clubs, or is it a
boys-only thing?

What he said.

He didn't say anything.

See Todd's reply.

The organisation is a great idea, but I'd rather see Congress
than Brotherhood. Why be gratuitously exclusive when it's not necessary?

I could have worded this better. I know no-one wants to exclude women from
the organisation. What I meant was, why use exclusive language when it's not
necessary.

The BLE has female members.

Further, clubs don't even HAVE a gender, it's a brotherhood of CLUBS not of
club members.

Since clubs don't have a gender, why use a gender-specific word to describe
a group of them? The BLE is not a parallel: that's a group of *people* who
at the time the group was founded, were probably all male.

Why be gratuitiously PC when it's not necessary?

It's hard to comment at all on some subjects without being accused of being
PC. I'm commenting here because I have a personal interest in exclusionary
language. Calling me "PC" isn't going to stop me doing the "stand up and be
counted" bit when I see something I disagree with.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
eBay Lego auctions: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/