 Organizations / United States / DixieLUG / *337 (-20)
Subject:
It's time for a DixieLUG meeting - July 14th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.tn.cha, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.sc
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:56:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I will be hosting the next DixieLUG meeting at my home in Marietta, GA on July
14, 2007. Come and join us, talk some LEGO, show off some MOCs.

Date and Time:
Saturday July 14, 2007
1:00pm to 4:00pm EDT

Get Directions:
http://tinyurl.com/2wqaw4

for more information on Dixielug, feel free to join our Yahoo Group at:

-Jason

Subject:
July Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:31:23 GMT

Hi all,

Meeting at my place in Lithia Springs, GA on Saturday July 1 at 1:00pm.

If you are not on the yahoo group or are just finding this message, feel free to
drop me an email and I'll get you directions to my house.

See you then!

Subject:
It's meetin' time...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.tn.cha, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.sc
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:57:49 GMT

Looks like I will be hosting the next DixieLUG meeting at my home in Marietta, GA on Saturday March 4, 2006.

DATE: Saturday, 4 March 2006 TIME: 1:00pm - 5:00pm (Eastern Standard Time, for those of you in AL) PLACE: Jason’s House (2421 Prince Howard Trail, Marietta, GA 30062)

Current plans for the gathering include:
  1. Bring any MOCs you want to show off (moonbases, etc).
  2. Planning for the upcomming BrickSouth & FFL Event
  3. Maybe another ‘part out’ of a set?
  4. Miscellaneous brick sorting/trading/etc.
  5. Dinner out afterwards, TBD
Others are welcome to follow up on this thread withanything else

Subject:
PCS Industries - Agriculture Environmental Control Facility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:03:21 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This MOC was built for the FIRST LEGO League National Championship show back in April. I finally got around to taking some picutres of it so I now present to you the PCS Industries Agriculture Environmental Control Facility.

Enjoy

Subject:
DixieLUG and NGLTC at FFL on Saturday April 23, 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:18:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

DixieLUG, NGLTC, and others will be displaying at the FIRST LEGO League National Championship Event this Saturday at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, GA.

We will be set up in the lobby/foyer area of the event from about 7am until about 3pm. The event is open to the public but I’m unsure if there is any admission fee.

A little birdie also told me that this event is also attracting such people as Soren Torp Larsen and Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen himself!

Directions to the GWCC at: http://www.gwcc.com/maps/maps.html

More info on the FLL World Festival: http://www.firstlegoleague.org/default.aspx?pid=13390

Hope to see you there!

Subject:
Janurary club meeting will be Janurary 29, 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.tn.cha, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.sc
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:42:19 GMT

The Janurary club meeting will be Janurary 29, 2005 and will be in Rockmart, GA
at Mark's new home (only 2 days old).  See the Yahoo Group for more details.

Subject:
set 1355 for $1.19 at Kennesaw TRU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:45:59 GMT

As of earlier this week, there were about 70 to 80 of this set (MSRP US$7) at
the Kennesaw TRU (just off Barrett Parkway, between I-75 and I-575), marked
(Green tag) at 3.98, underneath the "Green Tag Clearance -- Extra 70% Off"
sign...

Franklin

Re: Any NCLTC/LUG members living in Franklin, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:58:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Steven D. Weiser wrote:
I will be moving to Franklin, N. Carolina in March or April of 2005 and was
wondering if any members live in that area. I'd like to get in touch by the time
I make the move.

Steven Weiser

The western-most AFOL I've met in North Carolina is Thomas Main in Boone. Your
best bet may be to try the North Georgia folks since it is far closer. I don't
know if there's an 'NGLUG', but there is an NGLTC.  http://www.ngltc.org

There isn't a NGLUG but there is DixieLUG http://www.dixielug.org

jt

Re: DixieLUG Meeting - September 18, 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:00:27 GMT

Helps if I post to the group too... *sigh*

In lugnet.announce, Jason Whittenburg wrote:
There seems to be enough positive response even after Brickfest, so lets do
this! :-) We'll have a DixieLUG meeting this month!

Where: Jason Whittenburg's house (Smyrna, GA)
When: Saturday September 18, 2004 - 1:00pm EDT
Directions: http://jasonwhittenburg.com/directions

Agenda: Get feedback on creations, check out creations by others,
meet new people, swap parts, part of a set, talk about doing another
show, hang out, and talk about LEGO.

information.

Subject:
Apollo 11 Event at the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science: Mission Accomplished!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.scibrick, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:49:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi All,

NCLUG hosted a display at the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science July 17 to commemorate the Apollo 11 moonshot. This was the first space-oriented display done by our group, so there were things done by builders of all themes in the display. A local robotics group was also invited, which was to bfing a life-size Mars Rover, but the rover didn’t show.

Builders from NELUG (Teddy Welsh), WAMALUG (Nick Kappatos and Fradel Gonzalez), NCLUG (me, Mike Walsh, Cary Clark, Gareth Bowler, Cyndi Bradham, Evangeline Reynolds,Samuel Cox, and David Winegar and SciBrick (Chris Giddens - also of DixieLUG)participated in the display. There is also another builder who is currently unaffiliated who provided models, Shane Larson.

There was a total of 11 Moonbase modules that were presented and a multitude of spacecraft, including those built by the kids who cam in and played with the K-8!

The folder has all the photos.

Considering that there was very little publicity concerning this event, except for a modest press release sent out literally a few days before, there was good turnout, with lots of rushes and then suddenly dead spots. Two TV crews showed up and I got interviewed by the local NBC station, which actually was shown on the 6 pm news. Another news clip can be found here

Some fun things:

Spaceship by Samuel Cox. Moonbase modules by: (front row, left-right) Ssamuel Cox, Joe Meno - my first!!, (Second row-blue corridor addition) Cary Clark, (third row - grey building) Mike Walsh, (fourth row - Moonbase a Go-Glow) Mike Walsh.

Gareth’s AT-AT - it’s first public showing!

Teddy Welsh’s Lunar Cheese Mine, with Nick Kappato’s Excavator assisting...and a certain washer bot on the side:)

The spacey version of the NCLUG sign, done by David Winegar.

Old and new..

And the crew (l - r) Teddy Welsh, Cyndi Bradham, and Gareth Bowler.

Many thanks to all those who participated! And who knows, a lot of this may end up at BrickFest!

Joe Meno
.space paparazzi
NCLUG Benevolent Dictator
BrickFest Assistant Coordinator
See you NEXT MONTH in Arlington!!!

Subject:
TRU Show in Rome, GA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 22:18:04 GMT

DixieLUG had a show this past weekend in Rome, GA with a large display of MOCs
and two kids building areas.  Maybe Chris can give more details.  Here are some
of the photos I took of the show:

http://photos.jasonwhittenburg.com/?album=80

-Jason

Subject:
DIXIELUG meeting, 24 April 2004 in Auburn, AL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:19:12 GMT

We'll have a DixieLUG meeting at my place (if anyone shows up [grin]:

Where: Eric Harshbarger's house; Auburn, AL (email me for directions)
When: 24 April 2004, starting around 11am... going till 5 or 6 pm or so
Agenda: I don't care... anything. Bring stuff down to show off...
discuss plans for Brickfest 2004, etc

I don't have anything new to show off really (except a partially built
mosaic of the Fort Worth Skyline). What I REALLY what is to rummage thru
  minifig parts (yes, minifig parts). I have a need for many basic
minifig items:

- waiter torsos, black arms and legs, plain expression faces.

I would like to casually trade for the pieces, and would happily rummage
for hours through folks' minifig collections if they have some they
don't really want.

Folks are welcome to look through my collection for trade possibilities
and such.

Anyway... if you are sure you will come down, please respond to this
post, so I have an idea who might show up. I'll be at my place all of
that day either way, but if no one responds definitely, then I'll not
really be expecting anyone.

Cheers,

Eric Harshbarger

Subject:
DixieLUG Meeting Jan 10, 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.tn.cha, lugnet.loc.us.al
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:25:48 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Date: Saturday Janurary 10, 2004
Time: 1:00 PM - 5:30 PM
Place: Jason’s Home (email me for directions)

Current plans for the gathering include:
  • Catching up after not having a December meeting :-)
  • Another ‘part out’ of a set? Vote in the the DixieLUG mailing list
  • Miscellaneous brick sorting/trading. Folks are encouraged to bring any large tubs of unsorted pieces they have (we like to rummage through such things)
  • Bring any MOCs you want to show off (moonbases, etc).
  • DixieLUG organizational talk
  • We can figure out eating plans for dinner and even shopping at the meeting. This is Atlanta and there are many decent options.
  • Other suggestions welcome
BTW, Eric H has mentioned he is still on a quest for just about any printed/decorated tiles (any size, but especially 1x2s) and trading for many different things so bring those along for trading, selling, donating.

-- Visit the DixieLUG Users Group on the web at http://www.dixielug.org for more details.

Subject:
DixieLUG meeting Nov 22nd & FIRST Lego League Volunteering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.tn.cha, lugnet.loc.us.al
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:12:25 GMT

Sorry for the lateness of this post, but details only came together at the end
of last week.

DixieLUG meeting Nov 22nd in Atlanta!

FIRST Lego League competition Nov 22nd in Atlanta!

A full day of Lego!  Whew!

9:30 to 4PM     FLL Volunteering
4:30 to 7PM     DixieLUG meeting
7 to 8PM        Dinner
8 to 9:30PM     More meeting, if needed

Details:

FLL Volunteering:  Location is at SciTrek
(www.scitrek.org).  Email Prof. Jeff Davis (jeff.davis
AT ece.gatech.edu)  to volunteer.  Time slots
available are 9:30 to 1PM and 1 to 4PM.  You can sign
up for either or both.

Meeting Location:
Love Building, GaTech campus
771 Ferst Dr., Atlanta, GA 30332

Directions:  Use Mapquest (I checked the directions,
and they look correct), or email me (rohnjiley AT
yahoo.com).  The building is across from the
recreation fields on Ferst Dr.

We'll be located in the central lobby of the Love
building, which has lots of windows.  The building is
locked on the weekends, so I have to be able to see or
hear you to let you in.

Agenda:  FLL wrapup, MOCs.  BYOB (bring your own bricks!)  Trading can be
organized beforehand by using the group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dixielug

Email John Riley (that's me!) for more details, like parking on campus, contact
phone #, dinner options, etc.  Carpools can be arranged via the group webpage at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dixielug

Hope to see you Saturday!

Subject:
FIRST Lego League in Atlanta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:13:04 GMT

FIRST Lego League's Georgia competition is to be held November 22nd in Atlanta
on Georgia Tech's campus.  This also happens to be the next meeting for
DixieLUG.

I suggest volunteering for this event, and having the meeting afterwards (making
for a very long day of Lego oriented activity).  Otherwise, we can go ahead and
have the meeting as originally attended.  I'll probably watch the morning
competition before going to the meeting if we decide not to help out.

For those of you not interested in attending the meeting, FLL competition should
still be a worthwhile time.  The mission this year revolves around the Mars
rover missions.

Also, for future reference, the national tournament in April is to be held at
SciTrek in Atlanta.

For more information on FLL, visit
http://www.firstlegoleague.org
Because the website is not easy to navigate, here's the Georgia tournament info
(sorry if the link splits):
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/calendar.aspx?pid=210&action=showevent&eventid=324

DixieLUG discussion is at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dixielug/

Subject:
trades @ DixieLUG 11 Oct 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:58:15 GMT

BTW, I always love to trade/buy pieces.
I'm currently looking for the following especially:

- female minifig hair

(Assuming I can arrange suitable transportation...)
I have *plenty* of the ponytail hairpieces, Eric.

Franklin

Subject:
ATL/GA carpool for DixieLUG 11 Oct 2003 ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:55:33 GMT

Anyone here in the psuedo-metro Atlanta area care to carpool?
I'm wwaaaaayyyyy out west, near Villa Rica/Dallas/Hiram.

Thanks,
Franklin

Subject:
DixieLUG meeting: 11 October 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 01:20:37 GMT

Hi everyone,

I will be hosting the next DixieLUG meeting at my home in Auburn, Alabama.

DATE: Saturday, 11 October 2003
TIME: say from about 11:00am - 5:00pm (that's Central Time, by the way)
PLACE: Eric Harshbarger's House, Auburn, AL (email for directions:
eric@ericharshbarger.org)

Current plans for the gathering include:

- Another 'part out' of a set, 4099 - Robobots.
- Miscellaneous brick sorting/trading. Folks are encouraged to bring any
large tubs of unsorted pieces they have (I for one LOVE to rummage
through such things... I have plenty of floor space onto which we may
dump said tubs)
- Bring any MOCs you want to show off (moonbases, etc).
- Discuss the NGLTC event from 20 Sep.
- The 'tour' of my house [grin]... I'll try to make it interesting.
Obviously you'll get to see past models and mosaics I have about, my
storage cabinets, and anything new I might have completed or be working
on (the 924[x3] Space Cruiser, Crayola Crayon Box, etc).
- DixieLUG organizational talk.
- other suggestions welcome
- we can figure out eating plans at the meeting... there are decent
options... you may want to eat lunch beforehand, I guess.

BTW, I always love to trade/buy pieces. I'm currently looking for the
following especially:

- any printed/decorated tiles
- any lime green tiles
- female minifig hair
- black minifig legs

Others are welcome to follow up on this thread with piece requests and
suggestions.

Cheers, hope to see you on the 11th,

eric harshbarger

Re: DixieLUG October Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:34:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.dixielug, Eric Harshbarger wrote:

There will not be a formal DixieLUG meeting in September of 2003, but
the October meeting has already been set. I will be hosting it at my
home in Auburn, Alabama.

DATE: Saturday, 11 October 2003
TIME: say from about 11:00am - 5:00pm (that's Central Time, by the way)
PLACE: Eric Harshbarger's House, Auburn, AL (email for directions:
eric@ericharshbarger.org)

Current plans for the gathering include:

- Another 'part out' of a set, likely set 4099 - Robobots.
- Miscellaneous brick sorting/trading. Folks are encouraged to bring any
large tubs of unsorted pieces they have (I for one LOVE to rummage
through such things... I have plenty of floor space onto which we may
dump said tubs)
- Bring any MOCs you want to show off (moonbases, etc).
- Discuss the NGLTC event from 20 Sep.
- The 'tour' of my house [grin]... I'll try to make it interesting.
Obviously you'll get to see past models and mosaics I have about, my
storage cabinets, and anything new I might have completed or be working
on (the 924[x3] Space Cruiser, etc).
- DixieLUG organizational talk.
- other suggestions welcome
- we can figure out eating plans at the meeting... there are decent
options... you may want to eat lunch beforehand, I guess.

BTW, I am, personally, still on a quest for just about any
printed/decorated tiles (any size, but especially 1x2s)... so bring
those along for trading, selling, donating... if anyone needs basic
bricks in trade, I can probably accommodate you [grin].

Somebody got some Lime Green tiles at the last meeting? I might be
interested in those as well.

Others are welcome to follow up on this thread with piece requests and
suggestions.

Ohhh, the 11th, good choice! I might actually be able to come to this meeting.
Large tubs of brick huh? Are you going to sort them for me Eric?

Also I can bring some of bricks that the NGLTC is using for making oraments for
this year's Festival of Trees project, so if any one feels inclined to use the
bricks to make a few oraments for the tree please do.

jt

Subject:
DixieLUG October Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.tn.cha, lugnet.loc.us.al
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:50:45 GMT

[...]

Cheers, hope to see you in October.
eric harshbarger