 Organizations / United States / DelVaLUG / * (-5)
Subject:
PennLUG, DelVaLUG Display for Model Railroading Days
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.org.us.pennlug
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:04:21 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

PennLUG and DelVaLUG attend Model Railroading Days at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.

This Past weekend (Oct. 13th and 14th) The Pennsylvania LEGO Users Group and The Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group Displayed A LEGO Train layout at The Railroad Museum of Pa’s Model Railroading Days event.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=280725 Full Brickshelf gallery.

The event was a great success. Contributing members were myself, Mike Gibney, Micheal Tighe from PennLUG and Tim Caffery and Phillip Thorne from DelVaLUG. We were fortunate enough to be set up across from the museums beautifully restored Virginia & Truckee No. 20 Tahoe. This put us in full view through the windows to every one walking up the main walk to the museum entrance. They’ll need to clean the nose and hand prints from the glass from all the amazed kids.

DelVaLUG attempted to take over Mike Gibney’s farm when they planted their flag (or rather engraved brick) in the door of the barn.

Their clever coup was aided by a few of Phil’s rouge farm animals.

Unfortunately during the event a Fleebnork escaped from its bio stasis container and is probably now chewing on the the electrical components of the museums GG1 No. 4935. For this we may never be invited back.

Here is a shot of my copy of Steve Barile’s 2-6-0 Denver Rio Grande Bumblebee posing on the pilot of the 2-6-0 Tahoe.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Cale

No animals plastic or otherwise were harmed in the making of this display.

Re: LEGO activities at Worldcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:59:36 GMT

In lugnet.events, Phillip Thorne wrote:
   I’ll be traveling to Japan to contribute (loan) LEGO bricks and expertise to the 65th World Science Fiction Convention “Nippon 2007”, the first Worldcon held in Asia, happening in Yokohama on Thu 30 Aug to Mon 3 Sep 2007. Although it’s a membership-driven event, parts of the con will be open to the public. I’ll be reporting on my blog, possibly daily.

I’ve managed to pack a decent parts and colors selection into a single large rolling suitcase, so long as attendees limit themselves to Xpod-sized models -- no SHIPs at this event. I’m not yet sure what activities or where -- possibly just an open build, or maybe impromptu QuikWars sessions -- but it’ll be fun finding out.

Not too many prefabbed MOCs, though. Gotta optimize luggage volume somehow.

Although LEGO bricks have appeared at at least two “regional” SF cons in the US (Balticon and Philcon), this may be the first time they’ve done so at a Worldcon. And although Japanese LEGO fans certainly exist (sometimes called “JFOLs”), it’s a bit tricky for Western AFOLs to meet or communicate with them. For instance, I have no idea if any JFOLs will coincidentally be attending -- my efforts at email outreach were disappointing. Hopefully this convention will help bring the two camps closer together.

I may also find out what LEGO Retail looks like in Japan, since I’ll be visiting Narita, Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe in addition to Yokohama. (There’s a “Click Brick” store in the mall near the Pacifico Yokohama convention center.) Watch this space for reports.

Wow, that sounds cool. I know for years the Japanese afols have held Military /Sci-fi Lego cons called LMO. You can read about that in the .mecha section. Back in ‘04 when I was in the DC metro area I tried to contact Balticon for a possible Scibrick/Wamalug display but I never heard back from anybody. I am interested to hear what the recent Lego/AFOL representation was.

P.S. Don’t forget to take full advantage of you’re Gaijin Power!

Subject:
LEGO activities at Worldcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:05:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

[...]

Subject:
Call for AFOLs - NJ gaming convention in July
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.nj
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:10:30 GMT

While at Wizard World Philadelphia, DelVaLUG met one of the organizers of Dexcon 10, a gaming convention to be held in East Brunswick, New Jersey, from Wed 18 Jul to Sun 22 Jul 2007. Said organizer, Anthony Acampora (tinyDE at gmail dot com) was inspired by our presence to seek any AFOLs who might want to run activities at the con.

It happens that most of DelVaLUG’s members will be unavailable at that time, but I promised to put out a call for any other LUGs or AFOLs in the region (NY-NJ-PA-DE) who may be interested in executing a display or running LEGO-based games. (I mentioned BrikWars and QuikWars to him.)

Mr. Acampora, VP of Double Exposure Inc., may be contacted at: tinyDE at gmail dot com.

Thank you.

Subject:
DelVaLUG at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:54:00 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, successfully exhibited a group layout at the comics and pop-culture expo Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Participating members were Tim Caffrey, Roy Cook, Alice Leber-Cook, and Phillip Thorne, plus new members and first-time exhibitors Arthur Stromberg and Amy.

Set up in a 10x10-foot parcel near the front of the show (amidst the major corporate exhibitors), the layout was 6 Fleske-modules in size, in a “J” shape, and featured one train loop, two trains, seven buildings, numerous vehicles, and a plethora of minifigs; including:
  • The Hall of Justice
  • Four Freedoms Plaza
  • Café Corner
  • A dark variant of Café Corner
  • Interpretations of robot-mode Bumblebee, Megatron, and Optimus Prime
  • Vehicle-mode Bumblebee and Ironhide (from the new movie)
  • The three-segment Fantasticar (from the new movie)
  • Official minifigs from Batman, Harry Potter, and Spider-Man
  • Custom minifigs from the Fantastic Four, Justice League, Spider-Man III, and X-Men
An article about the show, with one photo of the exhibit, appeared in the Monday 18 June 2007 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer. About 80 people added themselves to the club’s email announcement list (for post-show photos and upcoming-show announcements), including several likely prospects for new members. The exhibit cross-promoted Philcon 2007, which is likely to be our next major activity.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact