 Events / 2167
2166  |  2168
Subject:
LEGO activities at Worldcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:05:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’ll be traveling to Japan to contribute (loan) LEGO bricks and expertise to the 65th World Science Fiction Convention “Nippon 2007”, the first Worldcon held in Asia, happening in Yokohama on Thu 30 Aug to Mon 3 Sep 2007. Although it’s a membership-driven event, parts of the con will be open to the public. I’ll be reporting on my blog, possibly daily.

I’ve managed to pack a decent parts and colors selection into a single large rolling suitcase, so long as attendees limit themselves to Xpod-sized models -- no SHIPs at this event. I’m not yet sure what activities or where -- possibly just an open build, or maybe impromptu QuikWars sessions -- but it’ll be fun finding out.

Not too many prefabbed MOCs, though. Gotta optimize luggage volume somehow.

Although LEGO bricks have appeared at at least two “regional” SF cons in the US (Balticon and Philcon), this may be the first time they’ve done so at a Worldcon. And although Japanese LEGO fans certainly exist (sometimes called “JFOLs”), it’s a bit tricky for Western AFOLs to meet or communicate with them. For instance, I have no idea if any JFOLs will coincidentally be attending -- my efforts at email outreach were disappointing. Hopefully this convention will help bring the two camps closer together.

I may also find out what LEGO Retail looks like in Japan, since I’ll be visiting Narita, Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe in addition to Yokohama. (There’s a “Click Brick” store in the mall near the Pacifico Yokohama convention center.) Watch this space for reports.