 Organizations / United States / DelVaLUG / *44 (-5)
Subject:
DelVaLUG to exhibit at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 13:16:16 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, will be exhibiting at the Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007. The event is held at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Featured elements of the display will be custom models tied to three of this summer’s action movies: “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” “Spider-Man 3,” and “The Transformers.”

Behind the scenes: This is an event that DelVaLUG members first proposed before the 2006 show, but we finally approached Wizard Entertainment this April. You have to be diplomatic when cold-calling, and cite the right advantages; but they were very happy to have us. After all, the company isn’t just comic books -- it does publish the magazines ToyFare and ToyWishes, so a toy-based display that can adapt itself to the show’s themes is definitely appropriate.

We’ll be using this event for AFOL promotion and club recruitment; the product literature distributed at BrickFest will be used. Since I’m deeply involved with the Philcon SF convention, I’ll also be promoting that. It’s not a big segue; a matter of “Oh, and we’ll be appearing later this year at Philcon -- different theme, much more convivial, and you get to build with the parts.”

Re: LEGO events at Worldcon 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 05:35:52 GMT

In lugnet.events, Phillip Thorne wrote:
   Since I’ve successfully run LEGO-based events at the Philcon SF/F convention for the past three years, I’ve been asked to investigate doing the same for the 65th World Science Fiction Convention -- Nippon2007, the first Worldcon to be held in Japan, in August of next year. But I need your suggestions and tips! Thanks for your help, everybody; and remember, this is still a feasibility study.

Who? First I’d have to locate American (etc.) AFOLs planning to attend.

I will be attending.

But, if you search my name here on Lugnet and look at my stuff, you’ll find it’s not science fictional.

   Japanese AFOLdom can contribute even if its members don’t attend -- they can mail-in MOCs (assuming I get some assistance with Japanese parcel post). But actually contacting Japanese builders is, we all know, difficult. (I can get recruitment announcements posted via the website and hardcopy progress reports.)

What events? An exhibit is easiest, with MOCs provided by Japanese and overseas attendees. An open build would be trickier to organize, because a parts supply would be needed -- and although I happily loan mine to Philcon, and the Worldcon will be shipping a bunch of stuff from the U.S., I’m not in a rush to send my own pieces halfway around the globe.

I agree, I don’t see how to get big things there.

What theme? It’s an SF convention, and it’s in Japan, so the most obvious models would be mecha -- replicas and original designs. But fans everywhere build everything, so there’s really no “distinctive local flavor” to that -- is there? Models inspired by the author and artist GoHs (guests of honor) would be topical -- that’ll require some research.

Dave Brin is a guest, as well.

(Obviously fantasy castles? “Final Fantasy”- and “Miyazaki”-esque flying contraptions? Gojira & Co.? Mindstorms robots?)

Where? Any suggestions as to where else I should make this announcement? Mecha Hub and Classic Space are the first that come to mind.

Followups to DelVaLUG since that’s my home club, and it’s low-traffic. Other discussion elsewhere as necessary.

Re: LEGO events at Worldcon 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:30:06 GMT

Comments intermixed below

In lugnet.events, Phillip Thorne wrote:
   Since I’ve successfully run LEGO-based events at the Philcon SF/F convention for the past three years, I’ve been asked to investigate doing the same for the 65th World Science Fiction Convention -- Nippon2007, the first Worldcon to be held in Japan, in August of next year. But I need your suggestions and tips! Thanks for your help, everybody; and remember, this is still a feasibility study.

Who? First I’d have to locate American (etc.) AFOLs planning to attend. Japanese AFOLdom can contribute even if its members don’t attend -- they can mail-in MOCs (assuming I get some assistance with Japanese parcel post). But actually contacting Japanese builders is, we all know, difficult. (I can get recruitment announcements posted via the website and hardcopy progress reports.)

I might be interested in sending stuff(but I’m skittish about this sort of thing, any assurances I could get would be helpful). I’d certainly be interested if I could get some help to get over to Japan! Bryce, Soren, and myself have some experience contanting Japanese builders.

   What events? An exhibit is easiest, with MOCs provided by Japanese and overseas attendees. An open build would be trickier to organize, because a parts supply would be needed -- and although I happily loan mine to Philcon, and the Worldcon will be shipping a bunch of stuff from the U.S., I’m not in a rush to send my own pieces halfway around the globe.

Ahem, see what I was saying above?

What theme? It’s an SF convention, and it’s in Japan, so the most obvious models would be mecha -- replicas and original designs. But fans everywhere build everything, so there’s really no “distinctive local flavor” to that -- is there? Models inspired by the author and artist GoHs (guests of honor) would be topical -- that’ll require some research.

(Obviously fantasy castles? “Final Fantasy”- and “Miyazaki”-esque flying contraptions? Gojira & Co.? Mindstorms robots?)

Where? Any suggestions as to where else I should make this announcement? Mecha Hub and Classic Space are the first that come to mind.

Certainly posting to MechaHub’s forums would help you out and would be a good idea.

Mark Neumann
   Followups to DelVaLUG since that’s my home club, and it’s low-traffic. Other discussion elsewhere as necessary.

Subject:
LEGO events at Worldcon 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:38:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

[...]

Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact